Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legends are cool. here are 2 for my area.

Legend of the Indian River
Oconaluftee River was sacred to the Cherokee Indians. The Indians called the river Ya'nu-dine hunyi (means where the bears live). A family of water bears was said to live at the footer of the river in a deep hole. In another part of the river called Ya'nu-u'nata wasti'yi where the bears washed. It was a deeper part of the river where all the animals came to wash and heal their wounds when they had been hurt by hunters. No person had ever seen this place because evil had blinded us to it's existence. The animals knew how to find it and diving into it meant instant healing.

Legend of PUS SY Willow
There is a legend that once many little kittens were thrown into a river to drown because nobody wanted them. The mother cat wept and was so distraught that the willows on the bank felt very sad for her and held out their branches to the struggling kittens. The little kittens clung to them and were saved. Ever since that time, each spring the willows wear gray buds that feel as soft and silky as the fir of the little kittens. Since that time the trees have been called pus sy willows so that we would never forget the good deed they did.

-------------
anyone have any legends from their neck of the woods?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
How about the Moth Man of Pennsylvania, or was that WV. They made a fictional movie out of that one. Frank View attachment 682194

Attachments

• Rose on ice 700.jpg
    Rose on ice 700.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 133

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Chick,i was walking with a friend some years back down at the duck pond down from my apartment,she had her baby and it was all good,so we both look at the willow tree hanging out over the water.And i said,that is a nice willow tree.She tells me about how there is a ***** willow tree.So,just being my self with a crazy attitude,i told here i like that name,she smiled at me and said,you like that name.So i thought,i better cool it here,this girl is married,so i said yeah,it's a cool name and started walking away from that willow tree.So she goes back to Georgia and all is good,i was married at the time and this girl was my wifes niece.So she shows up some months later with her husband for another visit.Do you know this crazy ass wanted to fight me in my own house because i told her i like that name.This is a true story,so help me god.And now you come on here talking about a ***** willow tree.I am having a bad day.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW SR that is a wild story. all because of a pus sy willow some hubby wants to deck you months later :laughing9:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's a spookier one:

Specter at the Gold Mine
During the Carolina gold rush of the 1830s and 1840s, a miserly old codger called Skinflint McIntosh owned a rich vein in southern Cabarrus County. So tightfisted was he that he wouldn't pay adequate wages to the miners to dig for the gold, nor would he provide sufficient safety measures to prevent accidents in his mine. The vein of gold was 450 feet down a narrow shaft.

One of the best workers in the district was Joe McGee, whom Skinflint kept trying to hire. "If I got killed down there," said Joe, "would you pay my wife Jennie $1,000?" "Joe," Skinflint shouted, "I'd pay her $2,000." And so it was that Joe gave up his other job and went to work for Skinflint.

One cold, drizzly night, when Joe didn't come home at the usual hour, Jennie became worried. Finally she persuaded Joe's friend Shaun to gather up a few men and look for Joe in the mine. They search the deep hole but found nothing. After several weeks Jennie asked Skinflint for her money. "Oh, no," said Skinflint, "Joe's just gone off somewhere." And he didn't pay her.

Soon after, on another bitter night, a loud knock came on Shaun's door. Opening it, he was startled by a ghostly white specter who spoke with the voice of his friend Joe and told Shaun to go to the mine that very night; it told him to dig a a certain spot where the green timbers had given away and caused a cave-in. It asked if Skinflint had paid Jennie, and when Shaun said no, the specter wailed, "I'll haunt that mine of his forever."

McGee's body was found exactly where the specter said. Skinflint paid up, but only when threatened by Joe's old friends. Word spread about the haunted mine, and no one would work for McIntosh. All of this happened 150 years ago but the gold is still in the mine--as is the specter of Joe McGee.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Sorry chick,maybe stirring of topic,but this is un freaking believable!I only dropped my Hematocrit level to a 55!.Last night i caught 9 crawdads and 2 red devils in my trap and made some good soup.I did leave out my neighbors mushrooms,they make me feel weird.I get done at the computer with all the questions and go to the finger poke station,and do some steps they go through,and she said your pulse is high,i did ride my bike there,but i have road my bike there for the past year,and then she scans the hema level,one point over!No donating today.What now!.By this time i am needing a cigarette,so off to the Iranian store down the street,these two brothers that own the store like me and i like them,they have been giving me credit for three years with no problems.Rasheed sees me come in and i told him about my plasma problem,and he starts talking crap for the first time in three years.Then I'm thinking what in the hell is going on around here?We'll i finally got a pack on credit and get to the house and call relic man to come by and buy something,that i will sell cheap for some food money and he says no,can't buy nothing,he is low on money his self.Can things get any worse?We'll as far as my plasma career,it's over,I'm done with that,time to switch gears and move on. O:-)

S

stefen

We have a local mountain name Mt. Fukarewee than local lore says was named after a lost native american tribe.

As legend has it, the Chief climbed to the top of the mount and peered at the horizon under his shaded eyes, and said
where the &%## are we...

Probably a fable...:laughing7:

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
FarmerChick said:
here's a spookier one:

Specter at the Gold Mine
During the Carolina gold rush of the 1830s and 1840s, a miserly old codger called Skinflint McIntosh owned a rich vein in southern Cabarrus County. So tightfisted was he that he wouldn't pay adequate wages to the miners to dig for the gold, nor would he provide sufficient safety measures to prevent accidents in his mine. The vein of gold was 450 feet down a narrow shaft.

One of the best workers in the district was Joe McGee, whom Skinflint kept trying to hire. "If I got killed down there," said Joe, "would you pay my wife Jennie $1,000?" "Joe," Skinflint shouted, "I'd pay her $2,000." And so it was that Joe gave up his other job and went to work for Skinflint.

One cold, drizzly night, when Joe didn't come home at the usual hour, Jennie became worried. Finally she persuaded Joe's friend Shaun to gather up a few men and look for Joe in the mine. They search the deep hole but found nothing. After several weeks Jennie asked Skinflint for her money. "Oh, no," said Skinflint, "Joe's just gone off somewhere." And he didn't pay her.

Soon after, on another bitter night, a loud knock came on Shaun's door. Opening it, he was startled by a ghostly white specter who spoke with the voice of his friend Joe and told Shaun to go to the mine that very night; it told him to dig a a certain spot where the green timbers had given away and caused a cave-in. It asked if Skinflint had paid Jennie, and when Shaun said no, the specter wailed, "I'll haunt that mine of his forever."

McGee's body was found exactly where the specter said. Skinflint paid up, but only when threatened by Joe's old friends. Word spread about the haunted mine, and no one would work for McIntosh Gg. All of this happened 150 years ago but the gold is still in the mine--as is the specter of Joe McGee.

This is getting really weird.Do you realize that in the past i knew i could never make it to Cali,or Arizona to gold hunt.So i had to come up with a new plan.So i started thinking what would be my closest mark to check out for getting to a place that holds gold,then work out the details with my detector once i get there.So this area of the little gold rush,is one of the spots i had picked!.I am not reading no more of your stuff.I thought you lived in England this whole time?If you are in the US,do you have native American heritage?This is weird.But you have me stumped,Indian River runs from Tville Fl,Which I've been to.And the area in North Car.Which i absolutely like very much,i could practacally ride my bike to.So if not Tville Flor,But Were i think,you are in Gods country in those hills. :-D

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
here's a spookier one:

Specter at the Gold Mine

McGee's body was found exactly where the specter said. Skinflint paid up, but only when threatened by Joe's old friends. Word spread about the haunted mine, and no one would work for McIntosh. All of this happened 150 years ago but the gold is still in the mine--as is the specter of Joe McGee.
Big Joe, Big Bad Joe...

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
FarmerChick said:
Legends are cool. here are 2 for my area.

Legend of the Indian River
Oconaluftee River was sacred to the Cherokee Indians. The Indians called the river Ya'nu-dine hunyi (means where the bears live). A family of water bears was said to live at the footer of the river in a deep hole. In another part of the river called Ya'nu-u'nata wasti'yi where the bears washed. It was a deeper part of the river where all the animals came to wash and heal their wounds when they had been hurt by hunters. No person had ever seen this place because evil had blinded us to it's existence. The animals knew how to find it and diving into it meant instant healing.

Legend of PUS SY Willow
There is a legend that once many little kittens were thrown into a river to drown because nobody wanted them. The mother cat wept and was so distraught that the willows on the bank felt very sad for her and held out their branches to the struggling kittens. The little kittens clung to them and were saved. Ever since that time, each spring the willows wear gray buds that feel as soft and silky as the fir of the little kittens. Since that time the trees have been called pus sy willows so that we would never forget the good deed they did.

-------------
anyone have any legends from their neck of the woods?

Austin,you heard the girl,this is no ordinary pus sy willow ,in the spring these pus sy willows wear gray buds in the spring.And then they feel soft and silky,as the fir of the little kittens.You sit back and continue to get drunk if you want to,but i want to see how this thing comes to an end here.This is starting to drive nuts wondering?

ladyliegh

Sep 17, 2012
SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a legend in my area about a old Chief or Shaman who was so beloved that he was buried with a Ruby the size of a man's fist,
at the top of a nearby mountain. (I suspect a burial mound, or remains of one would be a clue.)
I have never seen it in print, just heard the story from a friend of mine, his wife complained he spent many a day searching for it.
Now, where can I get a ruby detector?
Another interesting tidbit from my recent trip to Canada, the burial area of Indians there, has a strong odd vine not indigenous to the area,
it frequently pulls all the small trees down. So, the burial area stays fairly clear...
One of the coolest things I have seen is Judaculla Rock, been going there since the 70's, really makes you think...
JUDACULLAROCK.COM

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Lady,i do not mean to cause any conflict hear,But can we stay on topic?We could easily be banned for getting off topic.And since this is a treasure hunting forum,Could we please finish up with pus sy willows,and then we might could talk about a ruby the size of a fist.So if you could first tell us if you know anything at all about these willows?,could you tell us about them please?Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The willow is also associated with the story of the Holy Grail. The story is an explanation of why the willow "weeps." The story has it that a young girl and her betrothed pledged love under the bows of the willow tree...

Weeping White Willow
For many moons they were happy. The young lad, however, had dreams of glory and wanted to be worthy of the maiden's love. He left his love to search for the Holy Grail, of which each could drink and be immortal. The lad vowed not to return until he completed his quest and could bring the Grail with him. The girl promised to be true and wait for his return so that they may drink of the cup and live together forever. Moons passed, and each night, the girl returned to the place beneath the willow bows to wait for her love to return from his quest. She wept with longing each night beneath the bows. Sometimes the young man would visit the tree when the girl was not there and leave a gift or blossom to remind her of their love. Eventually the maiden wept herself to death. Willow had seen all these events and felt pity for the maiden whose heart was true and whose love was so enduring. She absorbed the spirit of the girl and her tears so that her beauty and love would endure forever. The willow felt the sorrow of the girl and the love that filled her heart. The willow bowed and drew a curtain of her branches to protect the place. That is why the willow weeps and bends its bows in sorrow and honor.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lady that is interesting about the carvings. never knew that was in NC
if that age dates by that far, why in heavens name is it not removed and taken inside, or maybe a roof erected over it to help erosion. makes me wonder :)

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
FarmerChick said:
The willow is also associated with the story of the Holy Grail. The story is an explanation of why the willow "weeps." The story has it that a young girl and her betrothed pledged love under the bows of the willow tree...

Weeping White WillowFor many moons they were happy. The young lad, however, had dreams of glory and wanted to be worthy of the maiden's love. He left his love to search for the Holy Grail, of which each could drink and be immortal. The lad vowed not to return until he completed his quest and could bring the Grail with him. The girl promised to be true and wait for his return so that they may drink of the cup and live together forever. Moons passed, and each night, the girl returned to the place beneath the willow bows to wait for her love to return from his quest. She wept with longing each night beneath the bows. Sometimes the young man would visit the tree when the girl was not there and leave a gift or blossom to remind her of their love. Eventually the maiden wept herself to death. Willow had seen all these events and felt pity for the maiden whose heart was true and whose love was so enduring. She absorbed the spirit of the girl and her tears so that her beauty and love would endure forever. The willow felt the sorrow of the girl and the love that filled her heart. The willow bowed and drew a curtain of her branches to protect the place. That is why the willow weeps and bends its bows in sorrow and honor.

Very good chick,so you see it.You know i have sunk into the fertile ground then.You have seen it.Very well done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions