Lens kit for phone and field photography

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So my wife and son got me some pretty awesome gifts (for my gold habit) for Christmas -- a compact tripod with phone mount adapter and a complete set of clip-on lens attachments for my iPhone.

The lens kit comes with a fisheye lens, 2x telephoto, two macro lenses (2x and 10x) and a polarizing filter.
tripod-lens-kit.jpgcamera_clip-on.jpg

Tested out the lenses on a recent research outing to another south Denver creek. These shots are from three panfuls of material I took from one of three sample sites on a section of the creek.

Fisheye lens from 4" above pan:
fisheye_lens.jpg

Telephoto lens from about 8" above pan:
2x-telephoto.jpg

And the 10x closeup lens from about 3" above gold:
10x-closeup.jpg

This tripod and lens setup will be great in the field.
Also looking forward to getting back out to this site to how many of the big flakes I can find. More to come...
Will report finds in journal post.

Upvote 0
That is a great set up.... I might have to look into that.

I tried something similar on the wife's phone, but it didn't work well. Can't help but wonder if it's because she has this rubber armor thing on there, which throws the focus out of whack? :dontknow:

kcm -- I have a fairly thick case (lifeproof case) on my iPhone. Ran my tests with the case on, which are the photos above. Will run a test with the case on/off later this week to see if there are a difference - but was pretty happy with the results so far. Of course, all the shots were off of a tripod, which is essential for the close-up photos. Will post the comparison (case on/off) photos this weekend...

I kept the tripod as I really like it, but I sent the lenses back. I'll have to go back and see just which ones I had ordered. I think mine didn't have the 10x lens though.

We don't use the phone much as we can't get a signal on it here - and always afraid of connecting with Canada!! So may very well be operator error! :laughing7:

Tested out combining the two close-up lens in the kit - which give me 10x magnification.
This flake was from my Dec 26th outing.
picker_12-26-16.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back