What's new

Let there be crust

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
8,542
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit the beach for a little while this afternoon around low tide.

The beach has changed since my last visit. Very thin layer of sand. I'm only getting one scoop of sand and then I'm into the grey muck.

The muck is really tough to break up and get a target out of.

I'm using a PI machine and it goes deeper than I want to sometimes, and this ring was really deep. It was an effort to say the least. Don't know how long it's been on the bottom, but it's been a while.

Looks like an onyx stone, but that's just a guess.

ring 1.webp

ring 2.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wonder what's hiding in there?
 
Let her soak!
 
Salt and vinegar bath should break it down. Eventually! If it's not gold or silver though, it's done for.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Cant wait to see It Hopefully Lorrain Will See it Soon and Maybe Give you Idea on how to Clean IT uP
 
Okay- here she is all cleaned up.

Stamped Sterling inside.

R1.webp

R2.webp

R4.webp

R5.webp

R6.webp

R7.webp

R8.webp

Don't know much else about it though- looks like it's from an Indiana Jones movie.
 

Attachments

  • R3.webp
    R3.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 110
That is amazing!!!

Great job on the clean up , G.I. B.:hello2:

I love unique finds like that!

Lorraine
 
Nice find. How deep did the SS hit it at?
 
Nice find. How deep did the SS hit it at?


I got this with the Infinium. The Sand Shark is my back up. The SS goes as deep but is not quite as good on fine gold and can't discriminate iron.

The ring was 20+ inches down and was a faint whisper. It didn't make a sound when I went into the iron discrim mode so I dug away. It was DEEP.

This is a popular hunting area so I know there have been lot's of other machines over the top of this. I was stepping in previously dug holes in the immediate area and didn't find one coin, and only a few pieces of slaw, so the area had been hunted heavily~

I had handfuls of hard muck from my Stealth Scoop. Lot's of old shells and crud mixed in so I had to wave clods of mud past the scoop until one clod rang up. Took a while rinsing it off until I saw it was a ring.

This is the final finished product.

Final .webp
 
Last edited:
Very interesting find. I love the crusty before pic, the cleaning process and the final product. I would love to know the story behind that ring and how old it is. Thank you for sharing. This is the kind of thread that makes me want to be on the beach at sunrise.
 
Very cool gib. And Trent, I'll be on the beach at sunup tomorrow. But it won't be Riviera. Lol
 
Wonder how long that's been in there...nice job on the cleaning...cool ring...congrats.
 
Every time is see a unique item I think that's going to be the top of the list and then out pops some other interesting design!
Very cool, congratulations and great job on the cleanup!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom