Lets see your old lead seals, RR or other!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSCN2096.JPG
    DSCN2096.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,074
  • DSCN2092.JPG
    DSCN2092.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,678
Upvote 6

Dgg19

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just learning about them too. Pretty fascinating. " Lead seals were affixed to goods to communicate information such as place of origin, manufacture, quality, size, circulation, and taxation. Lead seals are the colonial equivalent to today’s merchandise tag. Most commonly associated with textiles, lead seals marked everything from tobacco and salt to bundles of various trade goods. Easily molded, a lead seal was affixed to a bale of goods at its place of origin (typically somewhere in Europe) and remained unmolested until the goods reached their final destination." - https://relicrecord.com/blog/lead-bale-seals-overlooked-fascinating-artifacts/

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of lead seals and i have saved them but they are here and there all ever the house
in displays or boxes - i never thought to put them all in one place - you think i would have cause
almost every thing else i find is separated in containers :dontknow:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still looking for one

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some found in Colorado. Quite a few cigar ones, and Denver ones. I have not had time to really look them over. The creamery one is from a suburb of Denver and I found an old picture of the building. Hopefully there is a railroad one in there. They are usually pretty beat up. Yours sure is in nice shape, great find! F556FDF9-3887-4B53-82FF-F575A99A11BF.jpeg

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some found in Colorado. Quite a few cigar ones, and Denver ones. I have not had time to really look them over. The creamery one is from a suburb of Denver and I found an old picture of the building. Hopefully there is a railroad one in there. They are usually pretty beat up. Yours sure is in nice shape, great find! View attachment 1726603

I see that you have an Equinox 800... can you tell me what they ring up at on that machine? I detest hunting around RR tracks because of all the iron, but it might be fun to discriminate out everything but lead seals sometime.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were mostly found with the explorer 2. I learned mainly to hunt by tones. I listen for the tight solid signals and dig them all. I don’t use my screen too much. The same seems true for the equinox. I don’t think any of mine are railroad related and have been fortunate to have both the towns where I hunt to have been burned down at one time. Thrills RR one must be rare. Mine seem tobacco related. I did find this...https://www.google.com/amp/s/relicr...e-seals-overlooked-fascinating-artifacts/amp/
I am a big fan of the equinox, it’s sees things my explorer 2 will not.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m so glad you posted on this subject I was actually just trying to find info on my favorite bale seal and just couldn’t find it. Any help would be appreciated. Found in New Orleans IMG_2378.jpg
[emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631] IMG_2377.jpg

UPDATE ON USA::: Wholly hell I just found it!!! Case solved. It’s about meat. I thought it would’ve been more patriotic lol

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see that you have an Equinox 800... can you tell me what they ring up at on that machine? I detest hunting around RR tracks because of all the iron, but it might be fun to discriminate out everything but lead seals sometime.

I think my lead hits at about 17

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think my lead hits at about 17

Sounds about right.

I've found a couple of bag seals in road tearouts, but nothing at all like your collection. I misunderstood that yours came mostly from railroad areas.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here's my only one found detecting. Found along the former Pennsylvania Railroad's Elmira to Sodus Branch, formerly the Northern Central, formerly Sodus Point & Southern RR, and a few other names over the centuries.

Lead seal.jpg

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here’s the only ones I have found. I think they are civil war era but know nothing else about them. Anybody have any info on image.jpg image.jpg them?

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
lead seals.jpg lead seals.jpg Heres Mine sorry about the double pic.The big one has a shield with 3 stars and a horse,or possibly mule. Could never find out anything about it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions