Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using it in the water or wet sand? Im getting used to mine in the water but if im only hunting wet sand I use my RTG 6 inch aluminum scoop. Im really liking the 720 in the water but its a beast to use in the wet sand.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Lift weights during your time off. Get a hand weight and do curls while you watch TV. You will build up muscle strength in no time. Theoretically, you should do both arms, but heh, if you're lazy, you are lazy. I am. ;)

Get a good set of magnets and install them into the bottom and side of your scoop. It adds weight but saves a ton on the digging. Can't tell you how many times I pull my scoop out to find iron clinging to the side of the scoop that never actually made it into the scoop.

If that fails, hire a poor college student to do your digging for 8 bucks an hours...

Crispin

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg

Bought this from Sunspot in 1992/93. It's heavy but the only scoop I will use. But it will keep you in shape!!!

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok gang I went and upgraded to a 720 and man great construction but it wears me out.

I installed a cheater grip at the fulcrum but I found out that dumping the scoop takes more out of me than the digging! HINTS!!

Help please!

Buzzlite: As a full scoop of wet sand is very very heavy, I use leverage rather than strength when possible. When the scoop is full I use the top of the 54” staff to break the basket loose; then use the lift assist set at 48" to drag the scoop back and out of the hole. Once clear I rotate the point of the scoop into the ground with the lift assist then use my leg strength to lift and dump. Once the target is out of the hole, spread the dirt piling(s) to isolate the target and retrieve.

I highly recommend using the gloves, chuck provided with the scoop. It not only protects your hands from being cut, it also provides a cushion between your hand and the pole.

I forgot mine and ended up with a very sore little pinkie from lifting (one handed) and I also hurt my elbow (tennis elbow) by lifting with the elbow extended/locked. As I use other large standup scoops, I do not know which scoop caused the damage. It most likely was an accumulation of weight from all scoops used.

Lookindown's advice to use a six inch basket when digging in wet sand is good advice, as long as your targets are not sinking too fast. It is easy to say dig smaller scoopfuls, but fear of loosing, overcomes precaution everytime - at least in my case.

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got one - not used it yet but was surprised what a beast is was!!

customer service was excellent too!!

when snorkelling with my hand scoop (similar size) I dump ALL the sand a foot or so away, and if I move the target, then sift thru the pile again in "half measures" - think I'll do the same with the 720!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If your hunting in the water a pool noodle will help on the lifting. I use the Miller in the Bay and she is not as big as the 720 but does take a bite out of the clay. The noodles sure make an effortless lift when full.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dumping... must be in the wet sand... I don't dump mine, I drag it up out of the hole then once it's out I give it a push with my foot and the sand pile ends up on the far side of the hole, I think if you watch gravediggermax's videos you can see him do the same thing....
I hunted with it for about 10 hours straight a couple of weekends ago I was a little sore after that. but hey I'm getting older too 48 and counting....
in the water it can't be beat...
Bob

OP
OP
Buzzlitebeer

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome gang I appreciate it...sorry for the late reply but computer caught a cold (RAM).

Yes it was wet sand I was diggin mostly. I have a RTG 6" that I was using but I guess leaving it at home was the wrong idea. I am slowly learning PACK EVERYTHING!

The GDM videos was the reason I got it because he makes it look so easy!!!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not pack everything Buzzlight as this would leave you wide open to theft.
As sand and water scoops are highly specialized tools, it is a matter of having a game plan for where you will be hunting and taking the right scoop for the conditions under which you need to retrieve. If treasure hunting was as easy as the videos make it look most of us would of already made our fortunes and dine with the rich and famous.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the new ones you kind of have to watch those U bolt heads or your can tear the end of you shoes or toes up. I love the construction...... sturdy and who puts a lifetime warranty on their scoop?? For me its a bit long. I think id like to have one a couple inches shorter with another inch wider. Our sand is hard packed and thick as concrete. Ive watched my hunting buddy break 2 handles and bend his a couple of times. Its not the scoop, it held up better than any hes had. That point sure keeps it from rolling on you.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread