Lewis/Carter County Silver Mines

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure would be nice if they had a follow up article, that really makes me curious about where they actually looked for it at. At 113 when the article was written make the Indian born in about 1777 and may have been 10 years old when Swift cam back, or was told the facts later on.

I have read different stories where Indians came back to KY, OH, and IN to look for things their tribe had left behind. For them to venture all that way you know there was someting to it. They must not have found it, but if we were in an area he was certain of I could use the device I have, it would locate the mine like I did the ones on the waybill. Just need to be with in a half mile of it.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
The name John Swindell is not well known outside Carter and Lewis Counties. I guess he was vary secretive about what he was doing, but the law new about him. most counterfeiters of the day made solid silver coins and this kept them out of jail. Not old Swindell, he and his buddies liked to mix a lead/silver mixture. Has the story goes, he got his ore some where around Carter Caves State Park and used one of the caves there to melt out the ore. The cave that was used was the salt peter cave better known in the old days as Swindell's cave. The cave got its name from the war of 1812, when the salt peter was used in the making of gun powder. Look at the photo below, you can still see the salt peter vats. See how confined it is, would you put a furnace in there? Why the smoke alone would run you out. This may have been where they met and slept. The Furnace would have been some where else. i did find some burnt rock in front of bat cave and a few drops of silver did melt out. At cascade cave, at the mouth of the cave a small furnace was found. Danial Boone's son Jesse Bryan Boone was a lawyer in the town of Greenup, ky. and became the high sheriff there. Boone and a posse went to carter caves and arrested the group for counterfeiting. The next post is about the same location.

Attachments

• Salt Peter Cave.jpg
    Salt Peter Cave.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,219
OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Carter Caves State Park: This is a legend that is told by the guide at the salt peter cave about an Indian Princess and a solid silver tomahawk/peace pipe. Trouble with it being a fance legend is that a solid silver tomahawk/peace pipe was found and displayed at the first bank at Greyson, Ky. Wonder where the mine could be and did Swindell get his silver from the same place. One store has it that Jesse Boone's men, when searching the salt peter cave found this indian princess grave.

Attachments

• silver Peace Pipe Carter Caves.jpg
    silver Peace Pipe Carter Caves.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,719
  • silver Peace Pipe Carter Caves 2.jpg
    silver Peace Pipe Carter Caves 2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,679

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Boomer, 05/24/2010

Hows it going, I hope good!!!... I read your post on Carter County, "pretty interesting" stories. I been to Carter Caves several times and Cascade Caverns, it is an interesting area for sure, it is not to far from Grayson. I was wondering if you are going to be at the Grayson Lake State Park camp-out, ("For the Meeting of the Minds") get-together. There are several of us who are commited and going for sure, we "punched" our buttons on the "commit list" posted in the John Swift T-net forum. We definitely have some campsites available for everybody and we are going to meet at the Grayson Lake Dam area just next to the Dam on June 26th. Some people are bringing boats and also we can rent some boats at the lake "without reserving" them, pontoones etc., if we want!!!. Camping is only $20/night per camp site, with water and electric if we all/people wants to rent "them". There are also plenty of primative camping areas, easily accessible around the lake area as well, if we all/people want to use them instead, the Frontiersman "says", he knows of several primative campsites in the area. We will figure it all out better after we arrive and get everybody together on June 26th, at the Dam.
I hope to see you there, so I can see some of the carvings you post about in the forum, the Frontiersman, "says", he knows of a few carvings in the area as well, etc. I am looking forward to meeting you and everybody, I know if nothing else, we will all have fun and some interesting stories to share, etc. Hope you can make it.!! Mike Steely said he is, "maybe" considering coming as well, pending more details about the camp-out. If you hear from "Ki" ask him to ring in on Tnet, I ain't heard from him in awhile, thanks and have a good day!!! Email me if you want @ [email protected]

The Swizard

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, White's Coinmaster Pro,Whites 5500/D Series 3
boomer said:
there have been recorded on early topo maps the location of silver and gold mines in kentucky. but most have been removed from the newer topo maps, except for 8 i know of, here is one that is located just east of the dam at grayson lake. notice it says mines not mine? look at the areas around silver mines creek. see the places that have the word mine, could those be silver mine openings?
going on rt. 7 from grayson, just before you get to the dam there is a road that heads east rt. 1496. go about 3 miles and you will come to this location.

Most of the later coal mines could be found on this website. Real old ones won't. You could check and see what it shows for this area.

http://minemaps.ky.gov/Default.aspx?Src=InteractiveMaps

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya know, re-reading this article , fires me up!! ready to go lookin' for silver! Awsome Stuff!! :headbang:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people just drink coffee and never post their finds or their research..because they don't have'em? Others put boot on the ground and share...Boomers stuff is great research, have you done any on the subject? thought not-- have another cup dude.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D LOL, ll ! Curtis, if YOU are "asking me"... I AM A RESEARCHER, and as a VIRGINIAN, I am interested in the Swift Mines; I HAVE been to SW VA... BUT! MY focus is on Civil War relics (originally from the Shenandoah Valley)... found LOTS of cannon balls, minnie balls, bullets, have CSA Paper money passed down via family, buttons, etc. AND! LOTS of arrow/spear heads, pottery shards from Shawnee "Indians" along the Shenandoah River... AND! have training as an archeologist (frontier homes- Shenandoah Valley; Rockingham & Augusta Counties)... so yeah... my "boots have been on the ground". :wink: NOW! MY research has focus on Lynchburg & Bedford County, Virginia, with SOME "foot work"... for the BEALE TREASURE. :D :wink: As far as I am concerned research by boomer is BEST for the Swift Mines... so GOOD LUCK & HH to all; may YOU find the treasures that YOU seek! :coffee2: :read2:

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Rebel,
How ya doin?, I hope great! I have done some good map work on the Beale fortune, with the code information. My father is dead now, he died back in "89" but he had done much work on the code that describes the location of the vault. I went to Montvale Valley and searched the surrounding gaps and mountains several times looking for the vault since then. I have applied/used the code numbers according to my father's hunch. I have used certain numbers in the code to survey out possible locations for the vault, according to Beale's description of the vault and its location. I have a good survey I have never got to check out yet, but its promising, its according to Masonic symbology. I have googled or map/viewed the topographical survey I have done to get a better perspective, of where it is positioned. Fair possibility it might be where I got it, if it ain't been found yet, won't know until I get back down to Virginia to search again. Virginia is not exactly in my backyard as I live in N. KY. Well give me a yell P.M me and we will talk about it.

Sincerely,

Bill N. -aka- The Swizard

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Doing fine, Swiz, doing fine! :wink: Glad to see that you and your father (RIP) had info on the "Beale". Come on over to Beale Codes (Cipher(s)/Treasure) "thread" on TN Legends, and we will "chat"; I think there is a "connection" between the Swift Mines, Beale Treasure, and the CSA Treasury, which would explain why the FEDS (NSA) are VERY INTERESTED! :wink: :coffee2: :read2: AND! ALL of 'em have the FreeMasonic "connections" :o :coffee2: Coffee? :wink: ;D

towboatfarmer

Apr 11, 2022
The following is from news paper accounts of Swift, Waite and Sprinkle. I will be adding more later. As for swift, he came looking for one of his upper mines with the carving of a triangle carved on a rock near the headwaters of kinnicnick creek. the story goes that he was sick and went on to lexington kentucky and died there. there is a john swift buried there in the old grave yard.
But, we have another john swift that came and stayed with the catlett family. Cattlettburg Ky. is named for them. the catlett family took care of him until he died. Now, in the old family grave yard there is a small marker with J. swift 180? a 2 maybe 3 cannot tell. This story and waybill i will be adding later

Silver Mines on Kinny. — The following letter is from the Portsmouth Press, the latter part from the author of the Press letter direct to the author:

A Silver Article

Recently the Press contained a letter from a gentleman who knew the Waites, who used to make silver money in Adams County. That letter stirred up Mr. W. R. Beatty, Sr., of Sciotoville, who kindly contributes the following interesting information relative to the subject:

"Editor Press. — Having seen the articles in your columns relative to the discovery of silver in Adams County, O., and the mention of a Swift and Montgomery coming to Maysville kentucky and searching main kinnicnick for a mine. Sprinkle dollar, the family of Jonathan Waite and the so-called 'Waite dollar,' I thought the following would be of interest to your readers. "The log cabin referred to by your former correspondent was a veritable mint where thousands of silver dollars were coined, which passed as current as the coin of the realm. "But Waite could not work ore so impure as that found in Adams County. The Waite dollar was made from the ore just as found, without refining, and contained more silver than the American dollar. "Waite procured his ore on Kinniconnick, in Lewis County, Ky. My great uncle, Andrew Beatty, discovered the mine in 1812, and it was through the intimacy of his and my father's family that Waite came to a knowledge of the mine.
"Andrew Beatty's prospecting extended from the head of main Kinny to within twelve miles of Boone Furnace. Here the ore became impure, and was not traced further. This territory embraces nearly the whole of Lewis and Carter Counties. My uncle, after many failures to open and work the mines, died upon the eve of success, and none of my ancestors ever made any further attempt in that direction. "Waite was interested in the matter, and one day came to my grandfather's and told him that, as it appeared that they would never get to do anything with the mines legally, he intended to make immediate arrangements to begin 'free coinage.' My grandfather tried to persuade him not to do so, but when he would not be persuaded, he gave him several hundred weight of the ore, which he then had in his possession, and this ore made the first installment of Waite dollars.
Waite took into his confidence a smart Yankee, who assumed an Irish character, and who was supposed to be insane. He was known as Billie Johnson. Billie was not infrequently absent for months. His business was to transport the ore to the Ohio River, at a point now known as the Boone Furnace landing, it being taken across the river in a 'dug-out' and concealed in a place
agreed upon. Waite was very ingenious, and divided his time between his mine and the furnace.

"Waite's phenomenal success induced parties in Highland County, whose names I do not care to mention, to increase their finances by the same method, and thousands of dollars were made there. The quality of this ore may well be guessed, when it is remembered that there was not a mile of wagon-road between Highland County and Kinniconnick, and the only means of
transportation was the pack mule.
"A man named Sprinkle, of Kentucky, was the next to enter the ring. (I know that some will dispute this and claim that the scene of Sprinkle's operations was in Virginia.) The principal scene of his operations was on Laurel Fork of Kinny, and they were of no mean proportions, either. Sprinkle often crossed the river at Greenup, and his first stopping place on this side was
at a house near what is known as Giant Oak Mills, on Pine Creek. On these occasions he was always loaded, but he much oftener made his way to Vanceburg, and many a goodly structure in that vicinity owes its existence to Sprinkle dollars. (Two Sprinkle dollars are now owned in Vanceburg.) The next to take the cue was Shepherd, of Kentucky fame. The scene of his
operations was about fifteen miles from Boone Furnace, Ky. "Shepherd was a regular 'moonshiner,' and had a smelter of no mean proportions concealed in the mountains, which was guarded night and day. He was soon trapped, and was sent to the penitentiary for eight years. The ore worked by him was not very good, and gave him a good deal of trouble to flux it. It is to be found about ten miles beyond Boone Furnace, where my uncle left off prospecting. "The next to add to the circulating medium was George Wright & Co., of near Haverhill, in this county. Shepherd having served his time in prison, returned to
his old haunts and questionable ways. Wright and others, all well-to-do farmers in the vicinity of Haverhill, O., formed an acquaintance with him, and undertook to work the ore on this side the river. Wright was an ingenious mechanic, but the impurities of the ore baffled him. Shepherd came to his relief by smelting the ore in his furnace, and casting it in long strips the exact thickness and width of a half dollar. These bars were taken to a trysting place near Greenup and turned over
to Wright. Wright procured a powerful machine from Cincinnati. This machine was working with a lever, and every stroke made a half dollar. But the old proverb — 'The wicked are taken in their own craftiness' — was here verified. A slight indiscretion of one of the parties revealed their little scheme. Wright went up for five years, the others for a shorter term. "Shepherd was indiscreet, and being closely watched, soon found himself the second time in 'limbo,' and went up for a long term, dying before his time expired.

"I have endeavored to give a brief and connected outline of the principal actors upon this curious drama. Many others of lesser note might have been instanced, but to follow the devious wanderings of all would make this too long a newspaper article.

"The question may well be asked, what became of all this spurious coin? The answer is easy: "Having once passed into circulation, it could not be distinguished from the genuine, because it was silver. After becoming a very little worn, the slight defect of execution could not be noticed; and if any one should receive a Waite or Sprinkle dollar to-day he would be
satisfied to know that it was silver without having it tested for the copper alloy. They are all in circulation, and if you should chance to have two dollars in your pocket, one from Waite's and the other from the United States mint, you can not tell 'which is which.'
This is an old thread, I know, but very interesting. Our farm is on the headwaters of Kinney and I’ve wanted to search since I was young, but life gets in the way. When I return this week from the river I’m gonna finally start this journey. My grandfather told me years ago ( passed in 2000) that there was an old post office on the ridge north of Kinney. The same ridge that cut by the hollers that begin the Kinney creek I’ve detected the area once and found some things that would be synonymous with a stable but haven’t went further. The old maps show Frye hollow road going up the hill to this same ridge. This has not been called Frye hollow for I know 80 years. I always assumed it was just an old log road. There is an old well on this property in the middle of the field and a rock retaining wall that stretches 2-300 feet. I do believe there was a community there. I’ve always believed this community could have been established around the silver mine legacies of that area. Does anyone have info on Frye hollow or Tharp Cenetery road?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi T,

I have always thought the French had some mines there in that general area. Around 1985 I had read an account of a guy who had found silver, high assay on Kenney...then read some history on that county's early pioneers, like the French mining guys that were captured and the friar/monk/priest who talked the Indians into letting them go..They had a rich mine in the vicinity, and you might find the old workings...look for tailing piles. There is a guy on u tube who finds old mines using a drone equipped with something like LIDAR and when he sees the topography without the trees the tailing pikes show up, as does sunken areas where a mine may have been...he finds them all the time. Good luck! i think these maybe some to the mines Swift talked about the French having.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread