Lewis & Tomes Button & a Crotal Bell

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first trip this morning I lucked out with my first large cent, so i figured i would try to parlay that luck at a local homesite. I only had an hour or so to hunt before my fingers re-froze, but in that time i pulled a couple of firsts for me. The button is otherwise featureless except that I coaxed "Lewis & Tomes Extra Rich" from it's backside. Looked up another similar button on T-Net and supposedly it dates from 1820-1850. Pretty cool. Also pulled out my first crotal bell. I can't see any kind of makers mark on it, but there is some design. Still has the 'rattle' thingy in there.

IMG_5008.JPG IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5010.JPG IMG_5011.JPG

Upvote 13

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on that Crotal Bell. Its always nice when they still have the pea in them. A lot of times they fall out or deteriorate. I dont think most of them have a makers mark or name. I have found over 40 of them, & only a couple have a name on them. What makes them nice, is they come in all shapes & sizes, & some are even ornate with designs on them. All types of metals also. Brass & copper are the most common, but I have also found a few made from pewter.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! It turned out to be a pretty good day for you!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like seeing those bells. It is something that has eluded me and that I still really want to find. I took my buddy's dad out last year on his first detecting trip and the second thing that he dug was a crotal bell. He still picks on me about it to this day :-D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crotal bell or rumbler looks 18th-19th C, the iron ball in side is called the 'pea'. I still enjoy finding ones that still ring, & I have given many away to farmers, as they have a personal connection to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread