What's new

Lewis & Tomes Button & a Crotal Bell

Murray8144

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2015
Messages
661
Reaction score
1,486
Golden Thread
0
Location
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first trip this morning I lucked out with my first large cent, so i figured i would try to parlay that luck at a local homesite. I only had an hour or so to hunt before my fingers re-froze, but in that time i pulled a couple of firsts for me. The button is otherwise featureless except that I coaxed "Lewis & Tomes Extra Rich" from it's backside. Looked up another similar button on T-Net and supposedly it dates from 1820-1850. Pretty cool. Also pulled out my first crotal bell. I can't see any kind of makers mark on it, but there is some design. Still has the 'rattle' thingy in there.

IMG_5008.webpIMG_5009.webpIMG_5010.webpIMG_5011.webp
 
Upvote 26
Nice finds congrats on several firsts today
 
Nice crotal bell.There have been several nice ones posted lately.
 
Nice job on that Crotal Bell. Its always nice when they still have the pea in them. A lot of times they fall out or deteriorate. I dont think most of them have a makers mark or name. I have found over 40 of them, & only a couple have a name on them. What makes them nice, is they come in all shapes & sizes, & some are even ornate with designs on them. All types of metals also. Brass & copper are the most common, but I have also found a few made from pewter.
 
Congratz! It turned out to be a pretty good day for you!
 
Nice love them crotos
 
I really like seeing those bells. It is something that has eluded me and that I still really want to find. I took my buddy's dad out last year on his first detecting trip and the second thing that he dug was a crotal bell. He still picks on me about it to this day :-D
 
The crotal bell or rumbler looks 18th-19th C, the iron ball in side is called the 'pea'. I still enjoy finding ones that still ring, & I have given many away to farmers, as they have a personal connection to them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom