Lithic expert opinion needed.....

Henryadams1492

Mar 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is clearly a flake and there is evidence of microwear. Hard to see in the pics, but it's there with a good eye loop. So, does this look to be flaked into a tool or was it just a reduction flake with wear. The flaking seems too detailed for a simple flake. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
I am no expert let me be clear on that but have hunted artifacts since I was 8 and am now... well lets say I have been kicking around habitation sites for about 50 years.

Hard to say for 100 % but..... Any reduction flake could be picked up and used as a quick one time use tool and discarded.You are right and it does appear though to have micro secondary work on the one edge and on the unifaced side it appears to be a recent break with fresher patina.

The work reminds me of a step on an artifact that took multiple same directional blows to pop it off. I find many flakes I feel were used but will never know for sure.
Nice thing is that it shows the ancient hand of man upon it ! :thumbsup: Good eye on that one and nice study piece.
It has a story but not sure I can tell it.
HH
TnMtns

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back