Lithium ion vs alkaline for AA battery pack

udon1nano

Greenie
Nov 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I guess I'll start here and let the mods move it if needed. I have two older detectors: a Fisher 1280-X VLF, and a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II PI. Both are set up for packs of 8 AA batteries. I would like to switch to LI AA batteries, but I have seen posts on detecting forums (not necessarily this one) in the past advising against that practice, and implying that damage to the detector could result (without citing specifics). I emailed Kellyco tech support recently asking the question, and they also advised to stay with alkaline batteries over lithiums, again without giving a specific reason. Can anyone here tell me if there is an actual known problem created by powering metal detectors designed for 1.5V AA alkaline batteries with 1.5V AA LI batteries? Thanks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI batteries are higher voltage than 1.5v which is why it isn't advised, they are 1.7v so 4 LI batteries is 6.8 volts vs 6 volts for alkaline batteries.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I have two rechargeable EBL Li-ion 9 volts that I use for my Tesoros and they both charge to just under 9 volts.

I advise getting a smart charger (that you can select the charge rate/each holder is individual not paired) that accepts Nimh, and Li-ion AA rechargeables. Get 8 AA sets of each, charge them at the lowest rate (500 mah or less), and see what total the Li-ion charges to. The Nimh should be around 1.2 volt for each cell. If the Li-ion has any cell that charges above 1.5 don't use it.

Do not mix the different types in your equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread