Little advice on gold path

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
scan0001.jpg
Hey guys, sorry for the crappy drawing first. But I'm going up this weekend and am curious on what the pro's would do. You can see were I am dredging and I was going to stay along the path gold would follow under normal flood conditions but should I instead follow the past extream flood line? That's going to change my trajectory a lot so just curious. BTW flow is from right to left in drawing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would definitely check out the past high flood material. Heavier gold will be deposited under strong water flow conditions, The more water that is moving, the bigger the gold deposited. I'd also check the outside bend when you have nothing better to do. Lots of fine gold can and will hang up in the outside bend where the water flows a little stronger. Oddly enough, I have found gold in the bank of an outsider before. Just a thought.
Good luck.

Were the bed rock is exposed and I dredged last year I found lots of gold on the outside bend.

I would change the direction you have the 40 yard marker at towards the next inside corner (right hand side of 40 yard marker towards the bottom of picture). The normal path of a gold streak would be from inside corner to inside corner. When the river is massivley flooding, those 'Normal' banks would be under water and gold would be running accross them. Good luck!

That's basically what I was trying to ask...if I should target the path of gold when the massive flood event happened or stay with the normal high flood path. It will change the path I'm dredging a bunch. For the people that haven't seen my other post, where I'm dredging was bucket line dredged in the 1880-90's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back