What's new

Little Bell

Rob-IL

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
A little bell was found today (via metal detector) at a Fur Trade Era trading post site (circa 1750-1775) along the Wabash river in Illinois. It appears to be made of brass and the clapper has long since rusted away. Its widest point at the rim is about 2&3/8" and it is about 2&3/8" tall. There was a mid to later 19th century home site nearby so were also dealing with later era contamination. Livestock bell?? Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!!!
 

Attachments

  • Bell 002.webp
    Bell 002.webp
    158.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Bell 004.webp
    Bell 004.webp
    107.9 KB · Views: 197
You need to move it to a program to resize or maybe you can crop enough off to post.
 
Upvote 0
Here I cropped and resized it for ya. It really hard to tell, bells had many uses. It may help to include a picture of the top, or attachment point of the bell. Does it have a loop, or does it look like a handle was attached or maybe looks like one broke off.
Bell_002-copy-2.webp
 
Upvote 0
I have seen bits and pieces of bells like these found, including an almost complete one that one of my buddies dug last year. I have never had a clue as to what they were used for... :icon_scratch:

If you'd like I will try to find the photo of the one he found.


Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Hello & Thanks for the resizing. I had so much trouble getting the one picture on that I didn't attempt another but I'll see what I can do. On the top of the bell it has a tab with a heavily worn hole where it must have seen allot hanging and swinging.
 
Upvote 0
Is it possible that it is a candle snuffer? Maybe a bell off of a horse collar?
Scott
 
Upvote 0
We get many of these in the uk (although most of mine were bits, only a couple of whole ones).

I was told they were horse drawn carriage bells. I'm not so sure about this, & if they were, I think they were also used in many other situations as well.
 
Upvote 0
I found one just like it and thought, "what a cool looking bell". Well, if you turn it over there is a good chance (like mine) That there was a stem welded to the back making it a chalice. JMO
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
I found one just like it and thought, "what a cool looking bell". Well, if you turn it over there is a good chance (like mine) That there was a stem welded to the back making it a chalice. JMO

Definately a Bell.
 
Upvote 0
I've seen them over doors as a shopkeepers door bell.

GG~
 

Attachments

  • antique_doorbells.webp
    antique_doorbells.webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
GoodyGuy said:
I've seen them over doors as a shopkeepers door bell.

GG~

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice Work :icon_thumleft:


That's one likely use for them. I find my bits and pieces out in Very rural areas (which were not businesses), so I feel that's not the only possible ID. They are not common finds.



-Buck
 
Upvote 0
Great ID Goodguy!......by the way the bells on horses during the period your talking about were crotal bells and they looked much different

Slipperyjack47
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for your ideas but I don't think it's a shopkeepers bell but I could be wrong. It was found in a very remote location which did have a mid to later 1800s to early 1900s small 2 room house nearby that never had any type of utilities etc. Very poor families lived in the home in the earlier 1900s. The tab where the bell hung or was fastened is heavily wore from swinging on a wire, ring or something similar. The small area has yielded an abundance of Fur Trade Era artifacts such as 70+ scrap kettle copper arrow tips, trade axes, awls, French Clasping and Bucheron Knifes, Jews Harps, cone tinklers, ball & cones etc. The bell most likely is associated with the homesite but it would be good to know exactly what it is and how old it is. Thanks again for your ideas.
 
Upvote 0
Rob-IL said:
Thanks for your ideas but I don't think it's a shopkeepers bell but I could be wrong. It was found in a very remote location which did have a mid to later 1800s to early 1900s small 2 room house nearby that never had any type of utilities etc. Very poor families lived in the home in the earlier 1900s. The tab where the bell hung or was fastened is heavily wore from swinging on a wire, ring or something similar. The small area has yielded an abundance of Fur Trade Era artifacts such as 70+ scrap kettle copper arrow tips, trade axes, awls, French Clasping and Bucheron Knifes, Jews Harps, cone tinklers, ball & cones etc. The bell most likely is associated with the homesite but it would be good to know exactly what it is and how old it is. Thanks again for your ideas.

It most likely in its original use was a shopkeepers bell that was scavenged and adapted for use on the farm....such as hung on the smoke house door to let the owner know if someone or something was getting in, or maybe hung around a goats neck. I think based on the design that it originally was a type of "doorbell".
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Rob-IL said:
Thanks for your ideas but I don't think it's a shopkeepers bell but I could be wrong. It was found in a very remote location which did have a mid to later 1800s to early 1900s small 2 room house nearby that never had any type of utilities etc. Very poor families lived in the home in the earlier 1900s. The tab where the bell hung or was fastened is heavily wore from swinging on a wire, ring or something similar. The small area has yielded an abundance of Fur Trade Era artifacts such as 70+ scrap kettle copper arrow tips, trade axes, awls, French Clasping and Bucheron Knifes, Jews Harps, cone tinklers, ball & cones etc. The bell most likely is associated with the homesite but it would be good to know exactly what it is and how old it is. Thanks again for your ideas.

It most likely in its original use was a shopkeepers bell that was scavenged and adapted for use on the farm....such as hung on the smoke house door to let the owner know if someone or something was getting in, or maybe hung around a goats neck. I think based on the design that it originally was a type of "doorbell".

I think you are onto something in those days any small bell that could be tied to a goat, cow, etc. was used.
A clear view of the top would help ID the original purpose.

GG~
 
Upvote 0
Hello again and thanks for all the ideas and replies!!! I just added a photo of the top heavily worn mounting tap on top of the bell. The idea of being originally a shopkeepers bell and then later being used as a livestock (goat, cow etc) bell seems to make sense. Any idea of the time frame of manufacturing???
 
Upvote 0
Rob-IL said:
Hello again and thanks for all the ideas and replies!!! I just added a photo of the top heavily worn mounting tap on top of the bell. The idea of being originally a shopkeepers bell and then later being used as a livestock (goat, cow etc) bell seems to make sense. Any idea of the time frame of manufacturing???

Really, that tab on top pretty much cinches it as a shopkeepers bell.
Tough to date it though, as they are still being produced today.

The way yours is worn could be due to the way it was attached, see pic.
You can mark this one solved. :thumbsup:

GG~
 

Attachments

  • bell.webp
    bell.webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom