What's new

Little grooved hammers.

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
This is the smallest I have found. A friend (the site owner) has one similar and even a bit smaller.
Anyone else have a small hammer to show?
IMG_0795.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0796.webp
    IMG_0796.webp
    362.1 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Could that be a weight for a fishing seine? It looks tiny to be a hammer but I'm far from being an expert. I barely qualify as a novice. Nice piece in any case.
HH
dts
 
Could that be a weight for a fishing seine? It looks tiny to be a hammer but I'm far from being an expert. I barely qualify as a novice. Nice piece in any case.
HH
dts

beings it's 3/4 groove and not fully grooved, I'm thinking hammer.
 
We find similar items here in Pa, and usually is groups of 3... Called bolo stones. I believe it was the 3 stones tied with leather or twine of some sort and thrown at an animals legs to trip them up...
 
I think PaDirtDigger is on to the right track. JMO it would be to small to use as a hammer/maul due to not enough weight to it and if they were using it to strike something wouldn't there be marks on the end an not so rounded.:dontknow:
 
Most bola stones I've seen have a narrow, incised, groove that is full grooved. The groove is not typically so wide. Of course, I'm no authority, just thinking off the top. What I have not seen, in either a bola stone, or net weight, is a groove that is only 3/4. One would expect some battering on the end(s) of a hammer, unless, perhaps, it was a soft material being hammered. Maybe it was intended as a small weight, but the groove was not finished. I have found one grooved weight where that was the case....
 
Last edited:
Most bola stones I've seen have a narrow, incised, groove that is full grooved. The groove is not typically so wide. Of course, I'm no authority, just thinking off the top. What I have not seen, in either a bola stone, or net weight, is a groove that is only 3/4. One would expect some battering on the end(s) of a hammer, unless, perhaps, it was a soft material being hammered. Maybe it was intended as a small weight, but the groove was not finished. I have found one grooved weight where that was the case....

Good observation Charl.

Bola stones are one artifact i have never heard of or seen up here...... Just saying.

Considering the variety and sizes of hammers in use today, I don't doubt for a minute the strong possibility NA's may have had a use for different sizes as well. Or if nothing else, it could have been a child's toy.

It does show slight use or wear one of the ends.
 
Could it be?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
it is nice thats for sure,i wish i could see more of the bola stones,as i think it is a cool weapon.not saying thats what you have though.thanks for sharing.i heard they would wrap the stones in leather to make a bola though,yours do not look like it was done.
 
it is nice thats for sure,i wish i could see more of the bola stones,as i think it is a cool weapon.not saying thats what you have though.thanks for sharing.i heard they would wrap the stones in leather to make a bola though,yours do not look like it was done.

In which case, you really only need the right size pebble, no groove needed. Here is what I am used to seeing with stones considered bola stones. An incised groove...

image.webp
 
Not that I know, but from what I'm seeing online of a bola the stones are secured in a sack made of gut and with that there isn't any need for a groove in the stone to keep the bola all together when swinging it around. Seems to me a stone swung with just a single rope of some kind wouldn't hold together with the G force's of swinging the bola stones around and around at high speed.
 
Not that I know, but from what I'm seeing online of a bola the stones are secured in a sack made of gut and with that there isn't any need for a groove in the stone to keep the bola all together when swinging it around. Seems to me a stone swung with just a single rope of some kind wouldn't hold together with the G force's of swinging the bola stones around and around at high speed.

Charl is showing a classic bola stone. The rope would be tied through the groove and then wrapped in cross section patterns. That would ensure the stones stability while momentum built up. I've seen examples with rope being used in only the grooved section but the groove is at least 1/4" deep or more.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom