What's new

Willow leaf

knapper1492

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2025
Messages
37
Reaction score
109
Golden Thread
0
Ok- I need someone who is familiar with the Midwest to explain to me the genesis is this type of knife. My understanding is these originated in the Mississippian, and are smaller versions of the Rainey knife. Also looks similar to the Nodena. This one has a slightly broken tip on one end. I believe these were found on the Anker site in Illinois and carry the same name. Were these knives? Why the ovoid shape? Looking for answers from folks that know-using this as a study piece for a project
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4824.webp
    IMG_4824.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4823.webp
    IMG_4823.webp
    962.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4812.webp
    IMG_4812.webp
    328.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4811.webp
    IMG_4811.webp
    323.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4814.webp
    IMG_4814.webp
    239.2 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
Thanks for the note Boss ! I have copied all the links for my attempting to I.D.ing points !
My pleasure sir, wish I knew more. I enjoyed hunting for artifacts in Missouri, there are so many found there once you learn where and how to look.

My job for 20 years had me riding the country roads in company pickup patrolling our fiber optic cables, many of the areas were along the lowlands, farm lands with spring fed creeks and streams and Missouri river where they camped, I had about 75 miles I patrolled 5 days a week

The company I worked for gave me cases of work gloves and ballcap hats monthly to hand out to the landowners of land our fiber parallel or passed through to remind them to call and not to dig. I discovered a dozen gloves and a half doz hats would many times get me permission to hunt their lands for artifacts.

It got to where the farmers would flag me down asking if I had more gloves, and some owners even pointed out what parts of their fields they had seen lots of small pieces of flint.

The raised areas 50-100 feet from the creeks and streams were very productive as were the creeks and streams.

My best day I found 50 whole points in water after 8 hours of walking the creek and stream beds after a heavy rain. The creeks were stone bottom and the errosion from heavy rains would wash artifacts out of the edges of the banks and fall in water and be washed downstream from strong current after heavy rains, I learned to look for objects that blocked the current and would trap artifacts.
 
If you really want to know the purpose of the shape, you will have to actually use the tool as it was intended. I suspect you will quickly figure out the benefit.

My suspicion is 4 edges that can be used in the exact same manner. I don’t know. I do know in modern multi blade pocket knives, I always keep a tool blade for the rough stuff and a sharp cutting blade.

Subsequent sharpening may lead to a secondary type of tool?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom