little known treasure tales of Ohio

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Delaware County history--There is a legend that a group of Spanish travelers stopped at Captain George Gaylords grist mill on big walnut creek. They paid for their provisions with gold and silver spanish coins. Later that night, Gaylord heard noises from their campsite about 1/2 mile from his mill. The next day he went there and saw signs of a terrific battle but no trace of the travelers. A year later a stranger stopped at Gaylords mill and asked for the exact site of the Spanish camp. He thought there might be some buried money there. A few days later, he vanished. How he knew about the campsite is a mystery. Years later, in 1870, James Loar bought the property and discovered two Spanish coins dated 1776 & 1789....

OP
OP
I

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Starsplitter, i dug this up many years ago in my county library. It was in a Delaware county history book. At the time i also dug up a little more info on that area and came up with current landowners as being Anna Loar in one quarter section and Laurence Loar as being in another quarter section. Also, but not related at all to this, did you happen to make it to the treasure symposium in Kentucky this past Sunday? If i hadn't have read about it on the day before i would have surely been there. The Loar's were property owners as of 1977 but who knows know....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread