Little park gives me a surprise

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had planned on going back to the spot I found the older pieces yesterday but as soon as I got there I was attacked by swarms of bugs and the spray I used didn't faze them in the least bit. Stuck it out for a while and dug up another token and part of an old headset from the 1930's I think. The shiny orange metal piece is the cap off of something - maybe a bed post? :dontknow:
Just dug up the old key (Independent Lock Company) when my batteries died. No problem I thought, I'll just swap them out with the spares I bought last week. These lasted five more minutes and died. (I'll never buy batteries from Radio Shack again!) So - I packed up and went back to my apartment and had some lunch. I plan on hitting that spot again on a cooler day as it has a lot of neat things buried in it I think.

What the heck - I'll hit my little park down a couple blocks and take it real casual. Lot's of kids playing from the YWCA there and I answered many questions when asked and even let a couple kids give it a try (with close supervision of course!) - because I recall my first experience with a guy with a detector and he was very patient and put up with all my questions back a long time ago too. Once the crowd thinned out I was able to do some hunting. I was surprised to find a 1920 wheat in less than 3 inches of soil! The only other ones I found in this area have been down much deeper. The next was a 1953 and it was down about 6" - so maybe the first one was just caught on a rock or something. I was almost getting ready to head home when I decided to sweep a little area near the entrance. Got a strong "Zinc" reading and decided to dig. Out pops a nice silver bracelet. Of course I didn't realize that at the time because I was getting ready to go and thought it was just some fancy costume jewelry - but when I got home and washed it off I thought it was very shiny for being buried for a while. Got my eye piece and looked for any marks and saw the "925" on one end and about fell over! Couldn't read the hallmark clearly but I was pretty happy the rest of the day! Two days with two silver finds in a row. I'm REALLY starting to love this hobby!

(Having a better detector helps quite a bit but I really credit my success with the knowledge I have gleaned from all the more experienced members on this board. My thanks to you all!)

Time for me to get started on some laundry and get ready for a long week at work. I'm still going to try and get in some quick hunts before each shift - weather permitting. Can't wait until my next weekend off!!!

Thanks for reading more of my newbie stuff!

(The last photo is a shot of the area I hunted yesterday and this morning. Doesn't look like much but there is a lot of cool stuff in there! Found the 1909 wheat cent and WWII brass lighter near each other in this spot.)

Attachments

• july 19 group.jpg
    july 19 group.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 693
  • silver bracelet - 1.jpg
    silver bracelet - 1.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 695
  • bracelet 925 hallmark.jpg
    bracelet 925 hallmark.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 687
  • 1920 wheat - A.jpg
    1920 wheat - A.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 685
  • detecting spot - woods.jpg
    detecting spot - woods.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 657
  • headphone piece.jpg
    headphone piece.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 661
  • july 19 - keys.jpg
    july 19 - keys.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 672
  • july 19 - token.jpg
    july 19 - token.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 689
  • 1953 wheat - A.jpg
    1953 wheat - A.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 679
Upvote 0
Looks like the stones on the bracelet may be moonstone? Pretty nice finds, considering the bugs and the annoying battery depletion. I've had that happen before, too. Sometimes the battery, even new batteries, can give out with only a few minutes worth of use.

I think you were wise to make the best of a bad situation.

Good stuff :icon_thumleft: The C. Brandes object is one side of a set of old headphones :headbang:

Attachments

• headphones.jpg
    headphones.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 594
Black nice stuff ! Bracelet is very nice . Just keep doing what you are doing . As for the best batteries I have found and they are cheep 1.50 for one . I use 2 9volts and all I use are the black & yellow dollar general batteries. They last 36-40 hrs plus of detecting time I always get an extra set and they are in a seperate finds pouch. I am lucky if I get 24 hrs on duracell. I find deep silver all the time .

You know every time I go out I am like a newbie. You are doing great. Today I dug some clad and bullets cw and modern a guys watering system and swear at over two feet a concrete pipe that was blowing my Tesoro's speaker off on iron disc. Still do not know what it was. You are having fun and making some very good post I have enjoyed following your exploits.
HH
TnMtns

Black , You continue to amaze ! The bracelet is made by an ancient technique called "loop in
loop " Often this is done with a grade of silver very close to pure , called .999 fine - in contrast
to 925 - which is another name for sterling . Your bracelet is almost certainly of Indonesian
(Balinese ) or East Indian manufacture - rather recent as well - within the last 20 years . The
style of the decorative elements - the applied beads , and the moonstones - are very consistent
with Balinese or Indian origin . Very nice find ! Argentium.

Argentium said:
Black , You continue to amaze ! The bracelet is made by an ancient technique called "loop in
loop " Often this is done with a grade of silver very close to pure , called .999 fine - in contrast
to 925 - which is another name for sterling . Your bracelet is almost certainly of Indonesian
(Balinese ) or East Indian manufacture - rather recent as well - within the last 20 years . The
style of the decorative elements - the applied beads , and the moonstones - are very consistent
with Balinese or Indian origin . Very nice find ! Argentium.

I have learned very quickly that you know EXACTLY what you are talking about when you post. ;D

ya i dont know whats up with radio shack batts! they stink. my detecter takes 8 batts and i go to ocean state job lot and buy them there for 4 dollars verses 10 at any other store and they work longer than the big name ones. you have done the wheat thing next is the merc thing wich is what you will be finding for silver coins. i bet you have one within a month. willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back