CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a pretty good day to hunt even though the weather forecast for bad storms this afternoon. I only got rained on a bit 2x and it was only enough to help me cool off a bit really. At low 30s this ring read out on my ETrac.

6_13_2015 hello ring.jpg

Thought it was just a pot metal ring, obviously the stone is paste, more on that in a bit.

Also got part of a football pin think there is a good chance it is sterling, it rings like silver when dropped on the table.
Total digs picture :

6_13_2015 fb and ring.jpg

After a bit of rubbing a scotch-brite pad on the ring. It looks like this, would pot metal polish up?

6_13_2015 ring polished.jpg

Would think if pot metal it would just flake away. Makes me wonder what the ring is made from, ring feels rather weighty. Also what type of glue is best to reattach paste stones?? I used super-glue once on some bling and the stone looked really bad, lost its glitter.

Thanks for checking out the post and any replies with info :headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 8

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of digs, I like all ring, I just put in a display cases with all my old cheap rings and a few junk (broke ones). My look good in my displays cases and when I show them people are in awe. Just wash the dirt off and display them.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice group of digs, I like all ring, I just put in a display cases with all my old cheap rings and a few junk (broke ones). My look good in my displays cases and when I show them people are in awe. Just wash the dirt off and display them.

Good idea there I-D-I 8-)

Whoops I must have been tired last night. Failed to clean out my finds pouch completely ! :BangHead:
Here is the rest :
6_13_2015 add ons missed finds.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must have been tired or too curious about the other finds. Looks like you had a good hunt.:thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good haul specially the ring, keep us informed on its metal..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats! You need to get a tester kit.

That little bear looks like the stone it's holding I an opal.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Football.

Nice group of finds. Your football thingy looks a lot like one I found this spring.
Does your football look like this? I cleaned mine in the tumbler for an hour with a little baking soda and water.
If it is silver it might say sterling or .925 on the bottom. See attached photos.
newreply.php

Attachments

• DSC02459.JPG
    DSC02459.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02455.JPG
    DSC02455.JPG
    331.3 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice group of finds. Your football thingy looks a lot like one I found this spring.
Does your football look like this? I cleaned mine in the tumbler for an hour with a little baking soda and water.
If it is silver it might say sterling or .925 on the bottom. See attached photos.

Hi bonepicker, thanks 8-) Mine is a half of a foot ball, the other side is open, think it once was fitted against some cloth or silk and on the bottom side there is a curled piece of metal that sticks out. It is like it was made from very thin sheet of silver that has been pressed in a die. The back was completely packed with dirt when found, I hit the dirt with a little water it all flushed completely away like there was never any dirt inside and the inside is more shiny a small bit than the outside even. Even tho the item has no markings I am really sure it is sterling. It certainly has all the qualities of silver that I am familiar with.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good haul specially the ring, keep us informed on its metal..

Hi OBN :hello: Fairly sure it is a kids ring, the stone is paste was gold plated on its back. Maybe just a better grade of tin than some other rings?
Just gave the ring the magnet test, did not stick as expected if steel it would have rusted and read differently also.

Nice finds! Congrats! You need to get a tester kit.
That little bear looks like the stone it's holding I an opal.

Hi Msbeepbeep, Thanks for the reply :hello2:I have one. But really doubt the ring is made from gold or silver.
Think the Teddy stone is just white glass, it is a low cost item.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must have been tired or too curious about the other finds. Looks like you had a good hunt.:thumbsup:

Hi L-D. I did spend a while scrubbing the ring maybe it was just distraction :laughing7:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rings are exciting, test kits on amazon are about ten bucks?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi bonepicker, thanks 8-) Mine is a half of a foot ball, the other side is open, think it once was fitted against some cloth or silk and on the bottom side there is a curled piece of metal that sticks out. It is like it was made from very thin sheet of silver that has been pressed in a die. The back was completely packed with dirt when found, I hit the dirt with a little water it all flushed completely away like there was never any dirt inside and the inside is more shiny a small bit than the outside even. Even tho the item has no markings I am really sure it is sterling. It certainly has all the qualities of silver that I am familiar with.
You never know.. Not all silver is/was marked Sterling or .925. Only way to know for sure is to buy a test kit, or take it to a local jeweler and have them test it. Most will do it for free. My buddy bought some supposedly gold jewelry from a guy in a grocery store parking lot once, that was marked as gold. He took it to a jeweler and it tested fake. Sometimes when its too good to be true, it usually isn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread