Little warm today so I decided to take the AT GOLD for a swim.

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did pretty good, hit a freshwater beach I've never hunted before. Hunted about four hours and barely scratched the surface of this beach. Found 2 silver rings, 8 quarters, 9 dimes, and 19 pennies all clad but it's still fun. The rings weren't fancy, just a couple of little girl rings but silver silver in my opinion I'll take it however I can get it. I don't think this beach has ever been detected which I find strange because it's pretty busy. Oh well, more for me.:)

Upvote 0

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Silverfinder99. I too took my AT gold out to the freshwater lake today. Only one silver ring, $2.78 in clad and a couple of junk earrings. I found this ring just a few feet from where I found the ring I use as my avatar about a month ago. Hopefully your lake will continue to produce for you.

Are you hunting in all metal mode, or one of the discrimination modes?

Best of luck

OP
OP
S

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried disc 1 at first but I find im getting plenty of good loud signals in disc 2 without near as much noise. Do you have any suggestions on water hunting? It's new to me I'm still learning the ins and the outs.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just about two months with the AT Gold under my belt, and am still experimenting. Today I mixed it up, using disc 1 at first and then switched to all metal mode with Iron Audio on. It was the longest time I have used the all metal mode, and I liked it. Ground balance and then use the threshhold so you hear a little hum. I still dug a lot of pull tabs, but I also dug several nickels so I know I was on the right track for gold.

Good Luck,
Larry

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus Disc2 is notched out for coins and it could cost you some gold in the high 40's to the low 50's.

I am currently in SE Oklahoma and the water is getting cooler already from a couple of weeks ago.

OP
OP
S

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere that when beach hunting just dig everything. The lake I was at today would make the author of whoever wrote that change his mind about that statement as this place is absolutely littered with junk. I do however dig all the pull tab signals anyhow just because you never know it might be gold and as easy as wet sand is to dig why not? It just makes it that much cleaner for the next time you hunt it right? Since doing this my nickel finds are definitely increasing. Just curious, what do nickels usually read in on the vid in the water you hunt? Mine usually register as 50 to 52 but I have dug a few that registered as low as 48 and as high as 56. Is there and adjustments you know of to get the detector to read nickels a little more accurately?

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are too many variables not only for nickles, but everything else. I believe the angle of the object (coin) and the surface corrosion affect the conductivity and therefore the #. My results mirror yours as far as the #s you are getting.

OP
OP
S

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know of a good affordable long handled sand scoop? I made a homemade one and it's good enough for now but I'd like to have one with a wider opening and pretty heavy duty.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using one I bought at KellyCo. It's the one with a curved handle. About $80. The scoop is a little on the small side but the curved handle is a good idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread