Located old picnic grove....wait or hit it now?

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I have found a picnic grove that was in use for at least 100 years, it has grown over with grass a lot but is still freefrom briars and such, my question is this, it has been very very dry here the past 3 months, even at 9 inches down the soil is like powder...no moisture at all, should I wait until we get a good rain to detect so as to get better, deeper signals or should I hit it now....the man who owns the property says he has never allowed anyone to detect this area, and it has been in his family for many many years...he says I can go any time I like and stay as long as i like

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you resist? With an open invitation, go now, find what you can and then come back again and again after it rains. I'd be in there in a heartbeat.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hit it now and often -- ;D lucky ---you should never wait when a golden chance comes up !! I'd be on it like a dog on a three legged cat :o Ivan

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaps some prairie wild fire to knock the grass down
keep an eye open

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
why not hit it now AND later. good luck with it!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GO GO GO!!!
You can scout it out and see what you find now and really work it when it cools down some...
GOOD LUCK!!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Go ASAP and get what you can. You can't count on tomorrow. Soil conditions do make a difference in signals but in some instances in may be negative not positive. I haven't seen any data to say that it is always better when damp/wet. Just go for it.

If the ground is really dry and hard, it might be too hard to dig signals over a few inches deep. If this place is not likely to be visited, you could try and push in wooded golf tees where you get a good signal but it is too hard to dig it now. If they are level with the ground, they won't be obvious but you should be able to find them again when the digging is easier. When the soil gets wet, the signals may disappear.

Just a thought.

Daryl

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
I'D HIT IT NOW!

owner may change his mind. heck with the weather, go man go!

if you find something sorta cool like some indian heads or buffalo nickels, i'd offer the owner a couple in good faith to kinda seal the deal if you know what i mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread