Logging camp huge clay marble

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this 3 years ago and didn't get a consensus if this is a clay marble...found in a 100 y/o R.R. Logging camp. The width is just under 1.5"...also the marble was painted red.
All the ground facets throw me off, could these happen naturally over time? I can't imagine someone would grind these facets on a marble on purpose.
Has anyone seen anything like it? Any thoughts? Thanks! image.jpg image.jpg

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It does look like a painted clay. I wonder if they were using it for some odd purpose that would account for the flat spots. I can't imagine why they would be there unless it was used for something other than a game marble. At that size, it might have been in a claw on the bottom of a chair or table and possibly every time the marble got worn down far enough that the claw tips started touching the floor, they turned the marble to a new spot? I can imagine dragging a chair in and out from under a table 3 times a day would wear a clay marble down quickly. Just a guess.
0f1826cc072f38aa2303dade7c9d8755df1dbec2.jpg

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it was a die for a game to where numbers were painted on the flat spots like the Dungeons & Dragons dice.

dd dice.jpg

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it might be a gaming piece... But the facets don't line up with the exact opposite side to always have a facet pointing up when rolled.
The chair leg ball is a interesting suggestion. Maybe it was a quick fix to a chair with a broken glass ball and replaced with a large marble...that would be cool. Thanks for the comments!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Those glass balls in the chair legs were actually marbles in some cases. They sometimes had german handmade swirls in the claw's clutches. I figured maybe one broke like you said and this was used in place of it. It's definitely an old marble though. Odd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread