🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:

This FRUSTRATES me at yard sales​

He walks around with his computer set so he can Price everything
to get the Best deal. But when the Owner does the Same thing,
It bugs him :tongue3: Yes I Like to find the Best deals too. But so does everyone ! Buyers & Sellers alike . &when everyone & their Brother has the Knowledge at their Fingertips, Then flaunt it as they walk around Yard sales,
This is what ya get :coffee2:

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a hard sale years ago. I'm particular with my stuff and I tend to take care of my property. My stuff in the sale, some yard tools and other things while not new was in good shape. It wasn't junk. When I would price an item, I had it priced well below retail, because it wasn't new, so I would price something as said well below retail, while not giving the item away. I had a jerk come by and was rummaging through things and was talking loud so everyone could hear him. He would ask a price on an item even though it had a price on it. Upon being told the price he would set the item down and say, "oh I could get this at Wally World much cheaper new all day". After about the second time of doing and saying this, I told him that the most sensible thing for him to do, would be to go to Wally World. He left soon after. Some folks I guess just think you ought to give them stuff for free. Self Entitlement.

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran a little sale for a while mostly fishing lures and old axes and tools. I wouldn't price things because after a little experience you can tell the collectors from the dealers and resale people. I would give collectors a break and upcharge the resale people.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody and their loving grandma is out there now with their little cameras documenting their great garage sale hunting "exploits". You can tell the rookies a thousand miles away because they are the ones pulling out their little Iphones to price things. If you have to take out your phone to price things, then you might as well stay home. If I see something of value, I lowball. Great if it's a yes, great if it's a no, then on to the next one. It doesn't hurt my feelings, it's just the law of averages at work! :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it seems all he does in complain.
a few other vids of his popped up since I watched that one.
All waaWaawaa in the titles , I didn't click them
& he finally Disappeared from my youtube Recommended vids page

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I buy it is extremely rare I offer less.
only if I'm near out of money at the time.

when I sell if someone offers me less it's rare
I say no. I don't look up prices when I buy or sell

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a hard sale years ago. I'm particular with my stuff and I tend to take care of my property. My stuff in the sale, some yard tools and other things while not new was in good shape. It wasn't junk. When I would price an item, I had it priced well below retail, because it wasn't new, so I would price something as said well below retail, while not giving the item away. I had a jerk come by and was rummaging through things and was talking loud so everyone could hear him. He would ask a price on an item even though it had a price on it. Upon being told the price he would set the item down and say, "oh I could get this at Wally World much cheaper new all day". After about the second time of doing and saying this, I told him that the most sensible thing for him to do, would be to go to Wally World. He left soon after. Some folks I guess just think you ought to give them stuff for free. Self Entitlement.
dd same works withe detectors. You can have very nice equipment and they think you should be giving it away.Pay 2,000 for a machine then they offer you 200 for it. NO WAY !!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes sir. This is why I hate having sales. Sometimes it's like trying to sale Trump posters and bumper stickers in the DNC.

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Several years ago I was at a yard sale and noticed a Brody candy bowl, with a printed eBay ad showing the "value". It was MY AD for the same bowl I had listed there....I think I had 25 cents invested and was asking $5 on eBay, the yard sale price was the same $5 lol.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"and they will ruin rock and roll and strangle everything we love about it.” — Lester Bangs - From the CLASSIC Movie (and a favorite of mine) - *Almost Famous*. (if you have not seen it... sorry to hear)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the hell out of these guys! I consider them free entertainment.

I usually get the guy who says the guy a few blocks over had one for less. My reply is, "well you better haul butt back before he sells it" & ignore him. Or "why didn't you buy it? Shuts em down cold & the expression on their faces is hysterical! Ya just gotta have fun with it!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
When I see Ebay prices printed out, I just turn around and go. Sure, they have the right to do that, but I have the right to not be their customer. That's not being hypocritical, it is being honest. MOST of the time, they base the eBay price on what people are ASKING. They don't check what things have sold for. They don't check the sell through rate, they don't do much more than the basics. Now, I won't be rude about it. They're free to try for whatever they want. I need bargains. You make money when you buy, not when you sell.

knighthunter

Dec 21, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba (Unicity)
:laughing7:

This FRUSTRATES me at yard sales​

He walks around with his computer set so he can Price everything
to get the Best deal. But when the Owner does the Same thing,
It bugs him :tongue3: Yes I Like to find the Best deals too. But so does everyone ! Buyers & Sellers alike . &when everyone & their Brother has the Knowledge at their Fingertips, Then flaunt it as they walk around Yard sales,
This is what ya get :coffee2:

Put a sign up at entrance stating: Keep phones in your vehicle or in your pocket. If I see it out, you'll be getting asked to leave.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a sign up at entrance stating: Keep phones in your vehicle or in your pocket. If I see it out, you'll be getting asked to leave.
Haven't run into that one yet. But I'd surely tell them to go hike to hell as I left. Thank God most of the people around me are polite & most of all have an abundance of common sense.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I ran into this once, I just went ahead and looked stuff up as I normally do. They didn't say a thing. I bought a little something that complied with my rules at the time. I always have rules set for myself to keep my purchasing in line. My current rule is I pay 1/10 what I think I can sell it for or less and nothing less than $75 final sales price. Occasionally, if something is an easy sale, I'll do less. Example, today I sold a Sonos Speaker for $130. I paid $100 for 3. I've sold all 3 in less than a month for around that price. Sonos sell very easily.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When American pickers need a price THEY GO CALL SOMEONE !!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing wrong with getting a Deal/Steal
on a price. I once paid a few cents a piece for a hand full of tokens. made probably three hundred, give or take till I sold them all
which included a 1790's large cent.

this may have been the only time I bought to sell though ,
if memory serves. normally I buy to own. so I normally
stop at what it's worth to me. no more. when I saw the large cent in the box of tokens, along with some interesting ones,
and he said take a hand full for $3 or so, I Made sure My Handfull was personal Picks :laughing7: it wasn't like the guy was a newbie. he was a big antique lover.

it's those who complain when others do as they do, that bugs me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread