Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Didn't know where else to put this link but wanted to warn my friends about this nasty little brand of tick I got bitten by yesterday,the Lone Star Tick.Just watching and waiting to see if anything develops.Luckily I don't think he was there long and my husand removed him all in one piece and his mouth parts were attached to his body.

Love Red Meat? Watch Out for Ticks. - WSJ.com

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allergic to red meat :o My life would be over :(

Good Luck C_G !

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive found three of them on me so far since the beginning of warm weather.Only one got a taste of me lol.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
allergic to red meat :o My life would be over :(

Good Luck C_G !
Yeah I had a burger for good measure just in case! Red I'm glad you didn't have any side effects,maybe I'll be o.k. Too.The upside is this tick is not known for carrying Lymes.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myth: Once you've been bitten, you'll get sick.
Fact: For most tick-borne diseases, the tick needs to be attached for longer than 24 hours to transmit disease, says Mather, because of the biology of the way ticks feed. Bacterial diseases live in ticks' stomachs, he says, but in order to be transmitted, they need to get to the saliva, a process that takes at least 24 hours—which means that checking yourself for ticks as soon as you get indoors can help you find ticks before they've had the chance to make you sick.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I'm hoping Dustytrails.i either got the tick yesterday walking in the woods on a trail or the day before yesterday putting down pine straw bales.I know I would have noticed him the day before yesterday because he was near my collarbone.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read an article in the local Sunday paper about Vt. now taking the lead in per-capita incidents of lyme disease.

already have been plaqued with an abundance of the little devils. We need some extreme cold weather up here to bring the booming populations back under control.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm just going through treatment for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I had a tick bite while prospecting in Wyoming last week. Been really paying attention to my health since. Woke up Tuesday morning with a splitting headache, and thought "uh oh". Went to the doc Wed. afternoon, and sure enough..I had it. Being treated with doxycycline...which is standard. Feeling much better already, but still fuzzy-headed, and weak. Pay attention out there. Rocky Mountain is a serious illness, and needs treatment promptly on feeling sick...30% mortality if left untreated, and if you're in the 70% that survive, it has long term problems.
Jim

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh no Jim,I hate to hear that about you contracting Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and hope that by catching it fairly quick you can get a handle on it soon. So far so good here,its been a week today since I was bitten.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you only have to worry about ticks? got em...

we have west nile virus...skeeters...
we have hanta virus...deer mouse urine(dried)...
we have bubonic plague, fleas....
rabies....that is everywhere...{watch out for those caves...bat poo}
what else...I am forgetting something...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was gonna mention this earlier, but now is good too. Any of you folks that have a tick problem or two, just come on down to Texas and we'll let you run through the cattle dipping pens at the ranch. Works every time and I'll even let you go ahead of the cows...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you only have to worry about ticks? got em...

we have west nile virus...skeeters...
we have hanta virus...deer mouse urine(dried)...
we have bubonic plague, fleas....
rabies....that is everywhere...{watch out for those caves...bat poo}
what else...I am forgetting something...
Throw in ticks, and you've described the diseases for all the northwestern states.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was gonna mention this earlier, but now is good too. Any of you folks that have a tick problem or two, just come on down to Texas and we'll let you run through the cattle dipping pens at the ranch. Works every time and I'll even let you go ahead of the cows...
Hey, Austin...what chemical do they use?
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread