Long day this weekend!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Mostly watching my pals get a few super coins knocked off the list and build their piles of finds up!

Gonna get back to one of these sites tomorrow weather permitting. Firstly though it was great to see sunrise yesterday, a sandhill crane landed 50-60 yards from me in the open field and started picking at the crawdads popping out of the mud. He was not shy but he did meander off across the field as Skates and Watercolor came into view. Not much going there but I did get a great flat button, can't make out the backmark though. Should not have shaken it up in the water tube with the wheaties, appears to have cracked it as it is FRAGILE due to age.

Got done there and went to pick up Mrs. Lowbatts, happy birthday to her but on the way had a moment to check on some areas and VOILA! Park work, new bike/hiking trail cuts! Well it was wifey's b'day but priorities get skewed once in a while... for others.

Picked up Mayo and hit that place! Got another wheatie and big zincoln signal freed up a tag from one of the locally historically significant oil companies out of Rockford. No idea on how the tag was employed but the font is interesting. Has some embedded cross hatching, almost chevron design.

Gonna be a busy week weather permitting.

Attachments

• deer button.jpg
    deer button.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 179
  • buttonbackmark.jpg
    buttonbackmark.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 171
  • MSM digs 001.jpg
    MSM digs 001.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 177
  • MSM digs 002.jpg
    MSM digs 002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Smith oil tag.jpg
    Smith oil tag.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 170
Nice deer motif button...should go well in the display with the antlers/skull ;D
So do you think the tag was a valve tag of sorts?
DIg away....

Soup

Soupie said:
Nice deer motif button...should go well in the display with the antlers/skull ;D
So do you think the tag was a valve tag of sorts?
DIg away....

Soup

No idea but there appears to be the remains of some bonding agent on the back. Company was in operation from just after WW1 until they sold out to Sun Oil in 1970.

sunrise, did you bring your camping gear the night before? nice digs tim.

It was kind of nice to get an early start. . . before the "parking" crowd degenerated even further.

The motif on that button is really nice :thumbsup:. . . I'm thinking its age is earlier than when that site was platted in the 1860's.

watercolor said:
It was kind of nice to get an early start. . . before the "parking" crowd degenerated even further.

The motif on that button is really nice :thumbsup:. . . I'm thinking its age is earlier than when that site was platted in the 1860's.

I think the family on that site got there about 1848. Don't know when the place came down but it is cool to find a spot with none of the intermediate or late era building trash, just nails and goodies.

Do you think those finials could have been for a curtain?

Looks like some sweet finds shall be pulled out of there. :thumbsup:

Good luck on more goodies there Tim :thumbsup:

and thanks for the invite...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back