Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far this year I have detected 20 new locations. Most of these sites were losers. However, five spots turned out to be productive, giving up old relics, old coins or both. Yesterday's hunt falls into this category. Three hours of detecting produced five silver coins: 1901-O Barber dime, 1941 Mercury dime, 1936 Washington quarter, 1942-P war nickel, and a 1941 Walking Liberty half dollar. I also dug two musket balls and a woman's hair barrette. This wooded site is roughly 100 acres, and has history dating back to the late 1600's when it was used for farming and grazing cattle. I'm hoping that future visits will produce some colonial era finds.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG

Bob, the blue dinosaur , was recovered on a different hunt, but wanted his 15 minutes of fame, so I added him to this last pic for your viewing enjoyment. Thanks for looking an Happy Hunting to all!
05.JPG

Attachments

• 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 41
So far this year I have detected 20 new locations. Most of these sites were losers. However, five spots turned out to be productive, giving up old relics, old coins or both. Yesterday's hunt falls into this category. Three hours of detecting produced five silver coins: 1901-O Barber dime, 1941 Mercury dime, 1936 Washington quarter, 1942-P war nickel, and a 1941 Walking Liberty half dollar. I also dug two musket balls and a woman's hair barrette. This wooded site is roughly 100 acres, and has history dating back to the late 1600's when it was used for farming and grazing cattle. I'm hoping that future visits will produce some colonial era finds.

View attachment 2153130View attachment 2153131View attachment 2153132View attachment 2153133
Bob, the blue dinosaur , was recovered on a different hunt, but wanted his 15 minutes of fame, so I added him to this last pic for your viewing enjoyment. Thanks for looking an Happy Hunting to all!
View attachment 2153136
What kind of site?

View attachment 2153130View attachment 2153131View attachment 2153132View attachment 2153133
View attachment 2153136
Silvermonkey ,

Nice recoveries! And they cleaned up beautifully! Love Bob the blue dinosaur...I think he should be added to each post. :)

View attachment 2153136
Nice finds.

Well done on the silvers.

That’s more silver than I have found all year!. Those Liberty Walking halves are a favorite of mine. Congrats on the great finds.

View attachment 2153136
Dulce!

Would you be willing to share more about the site - certainly not where it is, but what it is? You wrote that it is wooded and was farmed. Did you hunt near house foundations? In the plowed fields?

I'm a big believer is studying success -

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Dulce!

Would you be willing to share more about the site - certainly not where it is, but what it is? You wrote that it is wooded and was farmed. Did you hunt near house foundations? In the plowed fields?

I'm a big believer is studying success -

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Thanks Old Bookaroo. I'm always seeking out new spots to detect that look to have some history. This typically means I'm banging around in the woods, often blindly, looking for signs of habitation ( foundations, stonewalls, old paths, etc). This particular site was interesting in that there was a lot of acreage, but only a couple of remaining out-building foundations. None of my finds were near the foundations. I'm guessing those spots were hit hard in the past. I had all of my success away from the foundations, on slightly elevated ground ( think grazing, not farm fields). I was back today and found a very nice dandy button ( no shank) and a couple more 20th century silvers. I'm hoping that with some continuing effort I can find some LC's and maybe some Spanish silver. We'll see. I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you for a thoughtful and generous reply1 There's enough out there for everyone.

In the Midwest, to identify where the farmhouse once stood (often they had no foundations) we'd look for rose bushes.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back