Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pics .They are iron . They appear to have black paint with the yellow decorations .

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc , yes , the screw was tied to the hole with with that piece of bailing twine , so I'm assuming its the original one that once held it . The screw is 3 1/2'' long
mojjax

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well being a Gypsy, we decorated everything and know that vardos were decorated with this type of painting ,as well as the Dutch used this style . So Cant rule out that it wasnt made earlier than the fifties. Plus its iron forged and the main screw that is attached is older than the fifties. Because of the center screw holes....I am wondering if a cross bar was at one time attached or a shelf like bracket that held something like a seat bench or luggage .....The size of the screw tells us that it was made to carry some weight,so what was hanging on those snap hooks???? Its a puzzle ,but a nice one .

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well made and decorated. Perhaps just for hanging bridles and tack in barn rather than a more complicated answer?
I have seen fancy hangers in racing stables down in Louisiana. 8)

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In our horse barn ,we have huge snap hooks that are iron that you hook the horses to...one on each side ...for when the vet or farrier is working on them. But these look like they were made so you wouldnt lose something...Our tack room is just open end hooks for bridles ,lead ropes etc,for easy access.
I am leaning toward ,something heavy that swayed or you didnt want to drop when hitting a bump.......

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Ok... not saying it isn't from whatever.  Only saying that that style of pinstriping is 1950's VonDutch style, which was used on about anything you could imagine, but was primarily used on motorcycles, hotrods, and big-rigs. 

Pinstriping has been around for thousands of years.  This style of continuing, converging lines came about in the fifties.  Earlier automotive stripes were parallel lines.  And prior to that were the scrollery style of straight borders and whirling loops.

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
The bale or binder twine would only date the time it was removed from the wood but would seem to indicate a farm or ranch setting, maybe barn wall. If, pre-1930's or so the horse tack or harness holders seem likely, but I'm sure glad we don't get beaten if way wrong.

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
silverswede said:
The bale or binder twine would only date the time it was removed from the wood but would seem to indicate a farm or ranch setting, maybe barn wall. If, pre-1930's or so the horse tack or harness holders seem likely, but I'm sure glad we don't get beaten if way wrong.

Trust me ...if we got beaten every time one of us was wrong...I would be black and blue

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
Very well made and decorated. Perhaps just for hanging bridles and tack in barn rather than a more complicated answer?
I have seen fancy hangers in racing stables down in Louisiana. 8)

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Although it could also be mounted on a carrage or wagon for hanging something. (but what?)

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cast iron kettles...dutch ovens...something with weight....I dont think that baling twine was invented until 1930's ....I know balers were made in the 1860's but not sure what that meant...whether they were actually a hay press or what and bales were self tied at that time. .....I am heading to a farm antique show this weekend ...going to look at everything possible...I am still thinking it came off a wagon... when were snap hooks first made????

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Got to be an early snap hook as it looks hand forged. Another thought.. If it was used to suspend cooking utensils over a fire wouldn't the snap hook get to hot to handle? McCormic Deering grain binders used twine for binding grain bundles. You might see one of these at the Antique show, Gypsy,
Hate to say it, but we used them on the farm when I was younger

Upvote 0
S

stefen

I totally disagree with the pin striping dates...pin striping occurred long before the 1950's, in fact I have several cast iron book presses that date from mid-1800's that are pin striped, and several other cast iron items from the same era, also striped. Many 1900 to pre-1940's American and European cars were striped as well.

The hooks are certainly hand forged and I agree that they were visible ornamental hooks for a buggy, cart or springer.

The slot screw could date any time, in fact they are still made.

In addition, even hand wrought square nails can still be purchased today. I happen to have a box of nails in my woodshop.

Gypsy, good thought, however cross-tie hooks need to be strong enough (and much shorter and with lag bolts, not screws) to withstand a lounging horse, especially if it was plow stock, which is about double the weight of a carriage or HB stock.

When we didn't have a squeeze pen, we'd cross-tie bull stock for shots, ear tagging, and.....well, you get the drift.

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Stefen,

DigEmAll said:
Ok... not saying it isn't from whatever. Only saying that that style of pinstriping is 1950's VonDutch style, which was used on about anything you could imagine, but was primarily used on motorcycles, hotrods, and big-rigs.

Pinstriping has been around for thousands of years. This style of continuing, converging lines came about in the fifties. Earlier atuomotive stripes were parallel lines. And prior to that were the scrollery style of straight borders and whirling loops.

DigEmAll

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your responses . I just wanted to point out that there are no screw holes in the middle , those are just the rivits . That big hole at the top is the only fastening point .
I was almost thinking that they might have been used to hang a piece of meat by the fireplace to cook , but there is no evidence or soot or residue ,heat .
It was found in a barn , so the tack theory sounds promising . Each one has worn a spot at the base of the hook where something was hanging .
mojjax

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well cripes Mojjax...think you could have told us that a little sooner....hahahah
How much does one of those weigh?
What about in a horse stall to hang a feed bucket on and the snap would allow for the horse not to knock the bucket off?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions