What's new

long pole with bent circle handle

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
dug this today in a field where I pulled some 3 ringers and some eagle cuff buttons, so I decided to post it here. My guess is its just a hole digger, but than again I don't know much ;D

The end is flat and it looks like the top (circle area) had been hit with a hammer. Pretty sure it was straight at one point in time but that is just a guess.

Thanks for looking and HH
 

Attachments

  • IMG00142.webp
    IMG00142.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG00143.webp
    IMG00143.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG00144.webp
    IMG00144.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG00145.webp
    IMG00145.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 602
Coal shute scraper ??? Tool used to pull coal down in to the furnace. I really don't know. jgas
 
Upvote 0
That is a coal furnace poker.I remember we had one when I was a kid many moons ago.Used to poke up the fire when it would die down.
 
Upvote 0
That is a coal furnace poker.I remember we had one when I was a kid many moons ago.Used to poke up the fire when it would die down.
===================================================================
I agree, used to settle the burning coals. Then you sift the ashes thru the bottom
before adding more coal into the furnace.
 
Upvote 0
I dont remember them but I googled it and this was all I could find.Furnace_Poker.webp
 
Upvote 0
Diggerbarns said:
That is a coal furnace poker.I remember we had one when I was a kid many moons ago.Used to poke up the fire when it would die down.

Absolutely. Its a poker...Part of a fireplace set...I have one at home and at the cabin...
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a rod they sink into the ground and tie a rope to to hold something down
 
Upvote 0
stefen said:
Diggerbarns said:
That is a coal furnace poker.I remember we had one when I was a kid many moons ago.Used to poke up the fire when it would die down.

Absolutely. Its a poker...Part of a fireplace set...I have one at home and at the cabin...

That's a pretty long and heavy fireplace poker :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Here is a branding iron I have, about 40" long...Rich.
 

Attachments

  • iron2.webp
    iron2.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 520
  • iron2.webp
    iron2.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 516
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
stefen said:
Diggerbarns said:
That is a coal furnace poker.I remember we had one when I was a kid many moons ago.Used to poke up the fire when it would die down.

Absolutely. Its a poker...Part of a fireplace set...I have one at home and at the cabin...

That's a pretty long and heavy fireplace poker :icon_scratch:

yeah thats the only problem with the poker/fireplace set idea. its almost the length of my truck tailgate and you would probably look like Lou Ferigno after a season poking with it ;D
 
Upvote 0
When I was growing up in the early 1950's, my grandfather was a janitor for an apartment building
that used coal for firing the boiler in the furnace. I remember him using an iron "poker" like the one
you found to spread out the burning coal in the furnace before he could shovel more in. And if I
remember right, this poker was taller than he was.

Anyway, that's the first thing that comes to mind.
 
Upvote 0
Coal burns so much hotter than wood you would probably want a longer handle for sure . But by the same token the ring end looks a little small to use as a handle and it appears it has been beaten on as driven into the ground.
BC
 
Upvote 0
Burnt Chimney said:
Coal burns so much hotter than wood you would probably want a longer handle for sure . But by the same token the ring end looks a little small to use as a handle and it appears it has been beaten on as driven into the ground.
BC

it sure looks like it has taken some continuous beating which would make me lean to some kind of tie down.

Just FYI. I have an aerial photograph of the area from 1937 and the field was still just a field back then. No structures in sight. Albeit where I found this may have no correlation to where or how it was used.
 
Upvote 0
Tie down anchors screw into the ground. I agree someone hammered it in but I dont think that was the original purpose. Would a broken branding iron fit the area?
 

Attachments

  • tie down anchor.webp
    tie down anchor.webp
    1.5 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0
I have to agree with the mindset that it is for fire - but not a fireplace - but for those big old coal furnaces we used to have in the basement.

We had several, and, at night, we used it to "bank" the fire for the night - getting everything in just the right spot, so it would burn all night.

Eventually, the old coal furnace became a "thing of the past" and we got an oil furnace, and the pokers were relegated to many other uses, from dog tie-outs to being pounded into the ground to run a stringline for the new addition.

It had the smaller handle on the end, too.

B
 
Upvote 0
Doan' know, but when I was a kid, I used to watch the guys from the city or utility companies who pulled up manhole covers in the road to look down into the abyss for who knows what.
Anywho, that looks like the things those fellas used to pull up the manhole covers with...

Scott
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Tie down anchors screw into the ground. I agree someone hammered it in but I dont think that was the original purpose. Would a broken branding iron fit the area?

Not sure there has ever been much livestock in this area.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom