Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit my main trade site again really scraping the bottom of the barrel but every so often I find something I somehow missed. Yesterday I found one thing that might be something and three tiny scraps.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588033150.759998.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588033181.674519.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588033212.574933.jpg
Anybody think this is anything other than a rouge barb from some fencing? There’s not a fence particularly close and it was near the middle of my trade site but I’m not sure it’s anything. The only modern contamination are a few bullet casings and shot shells, everything seems to be from around 1830.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recovered lots of gun parts, so maybe but it is quite small if I’m seeing sling holders circled. Thanks for taking a stab gives me something to look into.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It take a lot of imagination to be on the forum. I would stay in that site and dig the tiny high tones. Good luck.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It take a lot of imagination to be on the forum. I would stay in that site and dig the tiny high tones. Good luck.

I dig every tone because much of it is old iron. That’s actually how I found the site. I was working the woods and I noticed my detector was ignoring something and I got curious what was out in the middle of nowhere. One of the first things I dug was a 50 cal scissor mold. But the hits are getting fewer and farther between. that first pic was the result of several hours of looking.

Still every time I think I’ve got it all a button or a round ball or a brass tack will pop up so it’s always worth going back when I’m bored.

I might add I don’t walk grids I just randomly wander that way there’s always a chance i could find something.

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
You've got to love an old site that occasionally surprises you with a headscratcher.

I've seen a lot of old barbed wire and it looks way to nice to be a barb from that. (And unless it was really braided in there, it looks like it would slide along the wires.)

It's small enough that I wonder if it's part of some old hook and eye type fastener, or maybe some type of hasp/latch combo for keeping something small closed?

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s got a handful of head scratchers that I really wish I could get an id.
I thought it seemed too round for a barb but I think you might be on the right track, didn’t occur to me till now but what about the loop on the back of a button?

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588157551.371727.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588157562.901910.jpg

Went back and looked at my buttons, not a match for the flat buttons but the few 2 piece ones seem to be a match, the right material and if I remember right the shank on one had become loose and could move a little in the button, maybe this one fell out all together

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread