SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there everyone,

I went metal detecting at the swim beach at an artificial reservoir. The finds were mostly trash, aside from two earrings. Both of the earrings appear to be non-precious costume jewelry, but at least the beach is a lot cleaner.

I found a number of finds that I am interested in their purpose and if they are identifiable. The first is this interesting iron item. I can not tell if it is really old or if it is only corroded so far because it was near the water.

It looks like a piece of wire but has ends that curl inward. I figured the shape might be identifiable or give some clues as to its purpose.
IMG_2956.jpg
IMG_2958.jpg

Nickel for scale reference

This is my first time back on the site in years, and I must say: I love the new layout.

OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring retainer for a lounge chair?
Ah! That seems like a very good possibility. It is definitely a spot where people bring their folding camping chairs, if that's what you mean. It's rather thin (maybe just from rusting so much). I'm not exactly sure what a spring retainer looks like, do you have an image of one?
Antique hair pin for wearing a bun in the 30's-50's?
Or a corset pin of some sort?
Very interesting ideas! I am not familiar with what these look like, but those are both intriguing possibilities. I think corset pin is too old for the area. This reservoir was made a park sometime around 1950. The hair pin is intriguing especially given the how thin this object is. Does anyone know if hairpins looked like this back then?

Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen cardboard shipping containers where the lids are closed with that type of staple and then paper tape is applied over the top of it to hold it in.

Upvote 2

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's a few of them could be from an old bed spring or upholstery from a chair or couch.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen cardboard shipping containers where the lids are closed with that type of staple and then paper tape is applied over the top of it to hold it in.
Now that is very interesting! This site is far from any shipping freights since it is at a reservoir in Colorado, but that is an application that I had not considered before (sealing boxes).
If there's a few of them could be from an old bed spring or upholstery from a chair or couch.
I just found this one, but it is possible there are more at the site. With the old bed spring, would this be a spring retainer or also upholstery?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think this one is particularly old, and even if it is I'm not sure it is a "keeper," so I think I should throw it in the scrap pile.

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we keep every little whatnot dug stuff, our wives start thinking we need intervention........best to pitch that one IMO

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread