What's new

Long story but super ending!

deepsecrets

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
773
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
1
Location
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may recall that I was stricken with a serious bacterial infection last month - Dr said I should walk as much as I could during recovery. Took my AT Pro out for a walk around the farm but it was really flakey and pretty much useless. Figured it was the coil so I bought a 5x8DD and new Ground Shark from Big Boys - thanks Bart (super fast shipping and delighted with items!). UPS delivered the box and my 14 yr old daughter opened it up. Now, the last time I took her MD'ing was when she was 6 yrs old, she got bored quickly, and never showed any particular interest in doing it further. This time, she actually took off the old ATP coil and put on the new one. Then, proceeded to go outside to swing it. I gave her basic instructions and off she went.

Prior to the new toys arriving, I got a chance to do some long overdue land grading and clearing around the house. The house was built in 1792 and what remains of the original summer kitchen (I suspect) was pretty overgrown with brush. I graded it off for future landscaping taking about 5 inches off the foundation stone. My daughter hit that spot and......after about an hour she came back with a handful of unbelievable finds.

1748 Geo II Halfpenny
1818 50c
1825 Large Cent
1832 Large Cent
5 Barber Nickels (1902, 05, 06, 08, 12)
Iron relics - chain, lock, hand-forged knife
A bear claw?? (haven't figured that one out yet)

Insane!! I've been all over the farm and my finds almost pale in comparison - I am so proud of her. Of course, she now wants a detector of her own (it has to come with a cap, find bag, and a digging tool!)

Hope you enjoy this as much as I am!
 

Attachments

  • 08022015 finds2.webp
    08022015 finds2.webp
    50 KB · Views: 247
  • 08022015 finds.webp
    08022015 finds.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 68
Incredible! The coins look to be in great shape... how about some better pics of that half dollar?
 
Great finds for the little lady , get her a detector and let her loose .. cheers Mick
 
This is great! I can't wait to hear more stories about ya'll digging up history together! Feel better soon!
 
Incredible! The coins look to be in great shape... how about some better pics of that half dollar?

better photos using phone - my Canon camera does not have a macro feature and I take lousy pictures anyway.:BangHead:
 

Attachments

  • finds3.webp
    finds3.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 116
  • finds4.webp
    finds4.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 122
SECRETS ITS TIME TO HIT THE STORE AND BY THE LITTLE LADY A DETECTOR OR MAYBE GIVE HER YOURS. MAN SHE FOUND SOME NICE COINS AND THE CLAW LOOKS LIKE A WILD BOAR TUSK BUT MY EYES AE NOT THAT GREAT AND LORD ONLY KNOWS WHAT SHE WILL FIND NEXT TIME.
 
Well, it would have too be a really big groundhog - it's a little over 5cm in length. I think it might be from a feral pig - it looks like a warthog tusk.
I didn't actually notice the size until I looked at the pic again. Most of the groundhog teeth I've found are probaby 1 1/2". Yours appears larger. And 5 cm means nothing to me. Lol. I work all day in 16ths of an inch.
 
She'll be hooked in no time. Better budget for another detector. Wish I could find that many old keepers in one hunt.
 
Wow that's AWESOME all the way!! Congrats to the lady!!

I think you gained a metal detecting partner but, you definitely won't be seeing that detector anymore. Lol
 
Cool story and wonderful results
 
Wow - what a way for your daughter to start out! I'm sure you won't have any problem getting her to stay interested this time. Fantastic assortment of coins for sure. I've been seriously hunting colonial sites for almost 20 years, and have never found a bust half. Unbelievable!!
 
Wow! That KGII is in ridiculously good condition. Could you post individual close-ups of some of the coins (obverse and reverse)? Congrats to your daughter
 
WOW!!!
About an Hour and Coins that cover over 160 years of history. Lovin that Half.

Thought you were mistaken calling them "5 cent Barbers " but Charles Barber designed the so called V Nickle
so you are correct calling them Barber Nickles as the Barber Dimes ,Quarters Halves have lady liberty on their faces just like their Nickel cousins . I learn something new everyday. Hope your feeling better , & tell the Girl ..WTG.
Davers
 
Wow! Sounds like grading-off another 5 inches of soil is in order! Congrats to you and your daughter, finds like these represent some mighty strong kindling for nurturing the spark of interest in this great hobby. Hope y'all find more goodies!
 
Great discoveries! Congrats to the girl, she doesn't need another detector, she has your AT Pro and after a hunt like this IT'S HERS.
Good Luck and HH
 
That's AWESOME! She just broke into 2 centuries that most detectorists will never touch...and on her first outing! Now if I could get my 6yr to do the same thing! LOL GOOD JOB! Proud daddy!
 
Looks like you have one fantastic new partner! Those are amazing finds!! Love that half!!
 
Great group of coins! Your daughter had a day like few of us ever have and she's just getting started. I would love to see nice close ups of all the coins. They look to be in great condition.
 
Good grief, that IS insane! What an awesome hunt for her! Congrats on providing the opportunity for such an amazing shared experience... That's priceless. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom