Long walk and lots a footprints...........What to do?

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just need to vent to someone who might understand so bear with me. I was SOOOO excited to visit my best site after Sunday's rain and left work early yesterday to do so. Made the 40 minute drive, parked, put on my boots, and walked the 3/4 mile back to it only to find that someone had walked in from the other side earlier in the day and ABSOLUTELY COVERED it in footprints. I have never in 10+ years covered the site in one day as well as whoever sniped me did yesterday. It was in perfectly PRIME condition for hunting, so I bet they scored big time. I don't know if they had permission or not, but as long as they did, they have every right to look as much as I do............doesn't mean I can't still be frustrated. The site isn't terribly large, and its the only one I have so when its exhausted my artifact hunting is done for the year. I didn't want to be done so early this year, but things don't look good. I was adding things up the other day, and more than 90% of the artifacts I have ever found ahve come from this one site...........so my hunting is toast when it gets hit hard before I get there. It is a really special site for Iowa and I sincerely hope whoever was there appreciates this and undertands the gravity of it.

Probably just sounds like sour grapes; its not meant to..........I'm just tired of footprints. I have been out mroe this year so far than I got out all of last year and not once have I seen anything other than footprints.......everywhere. Time for another hobby maybe? I guess I will fish more this year and live vicariously through you guys.........most of you have been posting some really nice stuff so far.

Sorry for the rant. Here's to hoping that things look up soon!

Matt

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I always wonder what I might have missed out on when I see footprints, especially when they pattern back and forth and you know they did a really thorough search. I've been seeing a lot of footprints lately.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Today's trail of tears for our tribe sorry bud I don't know if you have ever heard this ...................."hunt in the rain"...............Maybe some new turf is in your future Matt I scored 2 creeks and 1 field so far this year and not done yet new farmer permission has over 3000 acres spread all over counties clear into Mo. and I have hardly started and need help your very welcome if your up for traveling .

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
I get excited everytime I go out - even more excited when there are no tracks around. Anymore I somewhat expect to find tracks either recent or old but the way I figure, they don't find them all! Yes, there are times that the current conditions should produce a bucket full and you wonder what the walked out with but it's not always the case. When I find tracks, I bite my tongue and start to walk. I assume their eyes were floating back and forth and I just hope my eyes are scanning the opposite. Most of the time I still walk out with a piece or two so don't throw in the towel Matt. Good Luck this year!

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
I hear your frustrations Matt.

As I drove across the state yesterday I couldn't help but notice all of the potential hot spots that are out there. I'm kind of in the same boat you are and I know I just need to get my butt out there and do some more door knocking and find new territory. The next spot you get just may be the new hotspot (especially since they are plowing up every available bit of ground there is for crop production).

Don't give up just yet - it's not even April!

OP
OP
Matt G

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the chances of getting permission vary greatly depending on your part of the state and how rural it is. Around here, I get variations of "no", "he## no", and "#*!% no".................haven't gotten a yes in many years and that was an very old, single farmer who was lonely. I shared a twinky and a coffee with him...........walked his whole place and didn't find a flake. Seems like people are very very leery of letting people on these days............I understand when there is new growth crops, but darn, in March I'm not gonna hurt anything!

I have a field I had permission on years ago that I'm gonna call on again soon.........hopefully its still OK.

Amazing how quickly this hobby grew isn't it? I used to go years between seeing evidence of othe hunters.

Matt

Mar 23, 2011
Let's jump on the other side of the boat here...I've spent many hours looking for/researching sites over the years. I believe the sight you are referring to is the site I found 20 years ago. No one hunted this site until I took a buddy with me, 6 months later he tells someone else about it in exchange for a fake arrowhead so imagine how I felt when I started seeing tracks. If we are referring to the same site I totally agree that in all fairness we hunt each others sites (with permission from the owner of course)and sometimes we have to deal with tracks from our fellow hunters. The thing that worries me is that you have 2 people tell 2 people then 2 more and then your told you can't hunt it anymore because of all the people. Just my 2 cents...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread