Long Wave uV Light Recommendation?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am about begin 'cleaning' my modest collection that has been acquired from Old Timers, estate sales, and yard sales. A stereo microscope is on order; Jim Bennett's book has been read twice with notes taken :) , and now I need a long wave uV lamp to help detect restorations. I sure see a lot of short-wave uV lights for sale: I thought they were too dangerous for casual use?

Any recommendations for a long-wave uV light? Thanks!

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Which have you reviewed and which short-wave uV lights are you leaning towards purchasing?

Attachments

• Omano Stereo Microscope .jpg
    Omano Stereo Microscope .jpg
    604 KB · Views: 38
  • Learning Resources Digital Microscope.jpg
    Learning Resources Digital Microscope.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 43

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Not sure why those images remained...... I started typing some info, then removed the text and link.

???

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey dognose....one thing that confuses me is an authoritative article that said to use long wave.....but the sale web sites list short wave, mostly for mineral ID. So is short wave OK to use, with care? To answer your question, I have not reviewed any because of this dichotomy

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both SW & LW, they both do, and show up different things. The SW can burn your eyes but is safe to use with polarized sun glasses, still be careful not to shine it directly into your eyes even with the glasses on. There are less expensive SW units available, you need to shop around and check out what the stamp collectors are using. I bought a nice Lighthouse SW light for under $20 a few years ago, and LW units should be cheaper than that.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....from an article I read..." I have learned much from the treatise on black light and its application entitled "The black light book", updated 4th edi*tion by author Mark Chervenka. This book is a standard recognized by those who specialize in antique and similar collectibles. Mark is the editor of "Antique and Collectors Reproduction news". In his book, he discusses the mer*its of long wave and short wave UV light. He is quick to state that using short wave light should be avoided because it will give false readings and dangerous.

Short wave is potentially dangerous as it can cause skin and eye problems from exposure. Persons who promote the use of both should be advised of such haz*ards. I assume this false information came from the application by profession*al gemologists who use both to deter*mine the authenticity of precious stones such as emeralds and diamonds.

Long wave UV light can assist in deter*mining a number of possible artifact problems that otherwise might be unde*tected by the human eye. First of all, it can be very effective in showing restora*tion which has become increasingly unnoticeable by today's expert restora*tionists. Keep in mind that all UV exam*inations are best conducted in total or nearly total darkness because the illumi*nation of the black light is minimal at best. And whenever possible, the subject of your examination should be displayed upon dark black cloth which has no reflective qualities.

The use of "black light" illumination is also very effective in revealing the dif*ferences between ancient surfaces, espe*cially on flint and chert items where modern damage or rechipping might occur.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
In this day's technologies, the only point you can be certain is authentic is those you find yourself. It might mean a smaller number of artifacts in your collection but you know the provenance of each artifact.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just don't buy that outlook, gilmerM. I am not authenticating professional level artifakes....and not expecting 100% success (but close)...and I can read - you ought to check out Jim Bennett's new book - and I can use a microscope (30 year biology teacher) Plus....to acquire and enjoy these ancient works of art by walking no till fields in Central New York is an exercise in futility. I have found a few field grade points....quite rewarding....but the Old Timer collections I have purchased in just a couple years have some outstanding artifacts. I want to know they are authentic, and I think I can do it.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Dealing in today`s artifact market is fraught with many fakes and even some of the experts have been fooled. However knowledge and research will definitely help in your search for authentic artifacts, and you only have to convince yourself that they are real.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I was going to suggest looking at Amazon for some cheap lights, but Neanderthal hit the nail on the head on price. There are two restorers who put something in their epoxy that makes it stand out under blacklight (weak Uv.) Normal UV does most of the contrast which can show some rechipping but won’t make minerals fluoresce. On the rechipping you can see it once you know what you are looking for, but UV just makes it easy to photograph. It helps me more with pottery than stone, some of the glue & restoration just glow under applied dirt/clay that people put on pottery to make it in “as dug” condition.

The stereoscope will be your best friend, look for both good and bad. I’d buy a couple of eBay fakes just to take a look at the differences in edge grinding (that old paleo base you posted vs a modern piece), gloopy fake patina vs mineral deposits, fresh vs old hinges, etc. Get some authentic examples of your favorite lithics, and spend some time looking at rocks. If it doesn’t bother your eyes, get in the habit of really scoping relics from top to tail on both sides, you’d be surprised how many little details you notice.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short wave will have more items show a fluorescent response than long wave. That being said, any UV light can hurt your eyes, that's why you wear the special glasses using them. You can get some very small ones that don't cost much, and the output is so low, if you look at it nothing much will happen. I on the other hand, have a 26 watt monster, that even with glasses while it doesn't hurt your eyes, it does put a strain on them. Check out ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread