Look at this cool toy soilder i think. Please help me understand exactly what this is

kimonswanson643

Jul 29, 2013

Attachments

• image-1781630330.jpg
    image-1781630330.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1705996213.jpg
    image-1705996213.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 93

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a look around the web searching, lead soldiers. I found some that look like your guy and with it the term Dime Store Doughboy. Looking at images for similarities like the base to match up with yours I see a maker by the name of Barclay. Barclay I see is still in business and selling lead figures to this day, but the detail of todays figures, doesn't look as good as the one you have. This makes me think yours is older and better than the ones they make today. They used, I'll bet tons in melted lead to produce the many years these figures hade been made. I do remember in the 1960s my friends older brother was an all out collector of these figures and had molds and a melting pot to makes his own. He had a large selection of colors of Testors model paint to give them authentic detail. They were then, set up all around his room on display. You could look at them, but if you touched any and were caught you would be thrown to the ground on your stomach and with a twisting drive from his knuckeles between your shoulder blades would not end untill you screamed out loud maybe three times "I will never touch them again" The value at least to me is my childhood memories back in Kewaunee, Illinois and the training I received in torture resistance.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I played with toy soldiers like that. But production stopped on them about the time WWII started, and they changed to plastic soldiers. There is a house in San Luis Obispo, California, that if one would take a metal detector to the flower bed on the left hand side, behind the fire place, back toward the corner, one might find a couple of lead soldiers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread