Looked for Halves in Puerto Rico

changedman

Greenie
Jul 6, 2010
I just got back from a week long trip to Puerto Rico. I was excited about the trip, because I thought new coins wouldn't be brought into circulation as often there. My plan was to hit as many banks as possible and buy all the halves they had. If I had to take an extra carry-on full of halves on the plane, so be it. I went to a Banco Popular in San Juan--no halves at all. I then went to two in/near the town of Fajardo--no halves at all. One teller got out a Susan B. Anthony dollar, but that was it. I then took a 90 minute ferry ride to a remote island off the northeast coast of Puerto Rico, an island called Culebra. I figured a place this remote would be promising if I could get some halves. I got there and checked another branch of Banco Popular--still no halves at all. I totally struck out, but wanted to let everyone know the CRH landscape out there.
Happy hunting!

Upvote 0
Very interesting post ... I wonder what they would've thought if you brought a box of dump halves there. I heard some countries that also use the dollar get our money that we don't like to use (ie $2 bills, Susan B. Anthony's, Presidential dollars, etc) and common to see that there. I don't think other countries get halves since the gov. here stopped making them for circulation.

That is interesting because I have also seen the reports of the government sending the coins that the US doesn't like to other countries, especially the agony dollar and the presidential/Sacajawea dollar to other countries that use the dollar. You can also see the preference that different countries have for different coins in looking at Euro coins (and pre-Euro European currency) for example, unlike the US and Canada which have quarter dollars, the Euro and the Pound Sterling have 20 Euro and 20 pence coins (yes, the UK did have 25 pence coins, but they were crown sized and not intended for circulation) rather than using quarter Euros/Pounds. Some countries in the Euro zone use the low denomination coins while others round up purchases.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back