Looking for a new detector

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
I've always had tesoro metal detectors, because i heard they were good machines and in my price range. But I'm finding that the more I get into this hobby that I want a better metal detector something that gives me a little bit of identification, at least with what probable metal that's in the ground.. I'm finding that it's difficult learning the Tesoro tone and trying to ID the target by sound... My budget is about $1000-$1500 any opinions?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jump on an expensive Minelab or Whites machine with the sporty screen and custom programs! You'll love looking at the liitle VDI numbers and playing with the neat programs. But discrimination is still discrimination, and those cool screens and cute little readouts still won't tell you the difference between a pulltab, tin foil, and a gold ring. Keep the two Tesoro machines, because in the end, you'll probably come back to them. Good Luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you going to ask this question on every forum we have?:tongue3: Read what Terry says and I second it.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear The top of the line whites land machine the Spectra v3i is pretty dam awesome. Now granted for the price it should be the top dog out there or pretty dam close if you want an id machine. I have a dfx and it ids really well. In fact i can tell manny times when its a ring with the dfx's nice signagraph display and it does well with coins too. It also has dual frequencies wich is nice no complaints on the dfx other than it gets a little heavy on the arm after hunting for Manny hours. Now the nice thing about the tesoros is there really light. Personally i wouldn't mind trying Fishers f75 being thats its light and seems pretty trick for an id machine. Now its true a no id machine can do just as good as a id machine if not better but sometimes its nice to get an idea of whats in the ground before ya dig.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
joshuajbelanger said:
Well, wanted opinions from several of the more popular models.

Every person will give you a different opinion. Some guys will say the machine they use is the best because its the one they own. Go to their profile and click on their posts to see what they are finding. Maybe it will help you decide if you agree with them as they may do a different type of hunting. Some hunt clad and lost jewelry others go for old relics.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a whites machine, MXT Pro. Easy to use and a great machine that will rival all the expensive ones out there. And it will save you a few bucks. I used to have a MXT and miss it. I use a V3I now Yes, but that is whole different story.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're ready to get a real man's detector try a White's MXT PRO w/6x10 coil. Sniffs out gold/silver real well. Sharp learning curve but the best there is in my opinion.....

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VIDs lie, but they are great if we are in a hurry and don't mind passing over good targets. if you find Tesoros being wild around littered soils try lowering sensitivity level.

Last edited:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jump on an expensive Minelab or Whites machine with the sporty screen and custom programs! You'll love looking at the liitle VDI numbers and playing with the neat programs. But discrimination is still discrimination, and those cool screens and cute little readouts still won't tell you the difference between a pulltab, tin foil, and a gold ring. Keep the two Tesoro machines, because in the end, you'll probably come back to them. Good Luck!

You also need to Listen to the one asking the question...things like "learn your machine" and "have more patience" mean different things to different people. Yes if you have total time and dedication in the same degree as you and others who always post the same replies, what you are saying is true.

But you also have to remember it is a hobby, there are those who benefit from VDI and some of the features these "upper end" machines have, it allows them to enjoy the hobby at a higher level than they would with a low end VDI but not require the time to become one with there tone only machines. Sometimes it's best to make a recommendation(what you would do) but also give a "based on what I HEAR you saying, in your case you may want to consider..."

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used a lot of different brand detectors. My main detector is a White's V3i for land and I use a Minelab Excalibur. The White's is superior for target identification. At sites where there are crown type bottle caps and twist off caps it's the absolute best. I can easily tell when I get a solid coin reading if it's going to be one of these junk targets and I don't even bother digging them.

Over the summer I picked up a Teknetics T2 Special Edition, which costs half as much as the V3i (or e-trac). At first I was not impressed by it, thinking it felt more like a cheap toy than a $900 piece of electronics. Fast forward to today. It has become my main detector for older sites where targets are a bit deeper.. I am picking up small stuff at incredible depths. (Just look at my posts in the forum from the last 60 days!) The display gives just enough info and their are only 4 settings so you don't need to be overwhelmed with configurations and other nonsense!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is an awesome detector especially when paired with a D2 coil, with that combination it will find coins as deep as a V3i or E-trac once you get used to the detector and hearing those really deep whisper targets. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread