Looking for a new detector

quaydj

Dec 18, 2007
Cabot, Arkansas
Like most I have started with a MD that is OK. I currently have a discovery 2000 from radio shack. I'm having some luck with it. I have found pull tabs, coins and one item that looks like it was a melted down aluminum can about 9 inch's down and a piece of scrap metal that was a little further down. Here is my question: Curious if others can give me some insight of this MD. Such as: Is it good, How much stuff could i be missing, and any other feed back. The reason I'm asking is because I see so many posts putting down radio shack Md's that I would really like to have a good tool since I'm going to continue with this very fun hobby. I do not have a MD dealer or shop that I can go to in my area (Arkansas Cabot area) that I know of. If anyone knows of one I would really like the info. Again I just want to have the most fun and not just spin my wheels and over look things that should of been found if I just had another tool. Hope I'm making myself clear. Please any ideas????????? ???

A little more information included from first post.
1. I have very little experience in this hobby.
2. Spend no more than 300.00 on a MD. Would like an all around md and one that is not scared of a little water with changeable coils.
3. Since I need glasses to see the screen on my present detector, I would only need a MD that has a tone.
4. Right now i have permission to hunt all parks and schools in my town.
5. I will be looking at going with another MD'er to a civil war site (I think that is where he said)
6. Getting permission from several land owners to hunt around old houses and open fields where there were county fairs and such. (people here in AR are real nice and as long as you can look them in the eye they will most always say yes)
7. I have been looking at the Silver uMax. Any one have experience with this one?
8. I cant think of any thing else to add, other than I like this site and I really want to be the next one to have the big find.........

Dennis

Upvote 0

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Quay,
Congratulations. You made it this far with a piece of equipment that would probably get parked in a closet most of the time after one or two uses. It is great that you have had a chance to sniff the wind no matter what you started with. Now that you know that you like the hobby then absolutely move into a detector that will get the job done for the kind of hunting that interest you the most.
If you want to get some good input here on TN about what would work the best for you then you need to explain in your post as to what kind of detecting you like to do and what price range you have in mind. Also include how much experience you have and how well you deal with gigits and gadget's, bells and whistles. Just hit the 'Modify' button on your original post and include this info so the members have something more to go on in trying to help out.
As far as finding a dealer in your area... There are a lot of dealers that work out of their house and you may not find them in your local phone book. If you make a search for the website of all the major mfg and take a look at their sites you will usually find a list of dealers for each state and their contact info.
When you are ready to make your purchase then run it back through this forum and you will know if it is the right one for you or not. Just be sure your right, then go ahead. Don't want to waste your time on junk. We only have so much time to spend searching, and we don't want to waste time with something less than satisfactory. (Go read Sandman's signature)
I am sure you will figure out a good unit and will do very well with it. Good luck and happy hunting... Highwater

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sandrailer

Dec 28, 2006
Durand, Mi.USA
Detector(s) used
fisher coinstrike
Tesoro dealers:
Clarksville
Medicine Man CB
(479) 754-2076
Springdale
Discount Electronics
(501) 751-3310
Garret dealer list :put in your zip code
http://www.garrett.com/hobby/howtobuy.asp
Whites dealer list :put in your zip code
http://hobby.us.whiteselectronics.com/?gclid=CKTzsI2e6IgCFQ-4WAod2Xi9pQ
Fisher dealer list :put in zip code
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/dealer_locator.cfm
Minelabs dealer list:put in zip code
http://www.minelab.com/consumer/page.php?section=128

While you at these web sites you can request a product catalogue from them.Then go to the dealers and check them out in person.Pick the dealers mind while your there on his/her likes and dislikes about each one you might be interested in.Most will let you turn them on and swing them over a test area so you can see how they feel and sound.Good luck and happy hunting.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
It seems to me that most folks who by a Silver uMax and eventually upgrade for more bells and whistles STILL hang on to the uMax.

It's difficult to be solid performance.

R M P T R

R

robert roy

The Bounty Hunter has got a bad rap by way of association: WalMart and Radio Shack.
Really, the BH finds coins like all the other detectors. Some of BH are better than other BH machines. Some of Fishers machines are better than other of their own machines.

Right now WalMart in my area sells three low end BH machines and for the money they ask your probably
better off with an Ace 250 or a Tesoro Silver uMax. For a little more money Whites machines are excellent and has excellent resale value if you decide MDing isn't for you.

What kind of money can you comfortably afford?

You'll find that if you really get into this hobby, you'll want to upgrade. You'll either keep your first machine or you'll sell it and put the money toward another MD.

Good Luck

Robert R :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the local paper ?

OP
OP
quaydj

quaydj

Dec 18, 2007
Cabot, Arkansas
Robert - Thank you and I will try to convince my "better half" that I should get the whites for resale. Good point.

EDDE and The paper, ummmmm, I have looked and no one wants to give it up. ummmm the paper.....

Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread