surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey scrapiron,

Do you have a probe? Without one, this is gonna be a very difficult undertaking. Having said that, look for depressions in the ground, lilac bushes, any stone walkways heading out to the back yard...

Good luck.

Jrehmbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2013
Murrells inlet s
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my experience with old home sites that the privy or out house is located behind the house, I would look for a depression in the ground where it has been filled in and settled over the years. It should be located close enough to the house for easy access but far enough away to not be smelled. I know it's kind of vague but its a start. And for the smart A answer, look where the grass is greener! Lol good luck hope you find some good stuff! And maybe an old sears and Roebuck catalog!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrapiron;
When looking for the privy of a home, try to imagine the entire back yard area as it was, or could have been, back in that time. The outhouse would be located in the normal downwind spaces of the house if at all possible. Also, if you can tell were the clothes lines were, will help narrow down the privy spot.......you wouldn't want to "hang" yourself on a clothes line while cruising to the "johnnie house" in the middle of the night. (not everyone had chamber pots for night use)

See if you can see a worn path from the backdoor to some area of the back yard. A very handy tool for locating outhouses is a probe. They can be made using a steel rod of about 1/2" x 6 ft. and put a "T" handle on one end for your hands. The dirt area of an old outhouse will be notably softer than the surrounding soil.

Once you find the location, be sure to wear leather gloves while digging and recovering items. They will help protect your hands from cuts from broken glass and other sharp objects. You should be finding old bottles, coins, and other items either tossed in on purpose and / or accidentally lost down the toilet. Don't worry about digging in the soil of a crapper. The human "soil" will have LONG been composted by worms, bugs, and bacteria and be nothing but rich dirt. And DEFINITELY use a sifter made with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. That should help insure nothing small would go through the screening material. Some folks like the 1/2 inch cloth, but some beads could slip through that size. Plus, I don't know if a 2 1/2 dollar gold coin could slip through a 1/2 cloth, but I'm pretty dang sure that it won't go through a 1/4 inch. :icon_thumleft:

One last point. If that house stood occupied for a really long time; there may be more than one location for the outhouse. After all, sooner or later, at a really old and long lived house, there is going to be a time when a new toilet would have to be dug and built and the old site filled in. When you're probing, and get the outline of the pit defined, then check off to the sides a few feet for ANOTHER pit. After all, when digging a new pit, just toss the dug dirt directly into the old pit.......saves time and effort. But, there would be a little distance used to prevent a wall collapsing from the old, smelly pit. LOL

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only done this once when I owned a very old home in Constantine MI. It was then around 150 years old in 1985. It was a 5 bedroom large home. The advise you've got is right on from everybody. I used a 5ft. 3/8" steel rod with a "T" handle spot welded. I found 8 privy pits all lined up going across the back yard about 100 ft. from house. Each one was about 2ft from the other. I stopped and didn't look for any more just then. I started to dig.... and man did I find bottles... MANY!!! What I discovered was my old home used to be a hospital. I found well over 400 bottles!!!! Beer bottles, medicine bottles, and old pistol, all kinds of "miracle cure" bottles, ceramic doll heads among other items. It keep me busy for the entire summer after work. I had a blast. After digging those 8 I got the rod out again and started to probe under an old cement pad where a small shed or garage used to be and bingo I found 4-5 more. Then the neighbor came out and asked me to check between our homes and I found 3 more. So I dug the last 3 and found several old jugs and some unbroken bottles but mostly broken items.

I wish you luck.... just go slow and be careful... you'll have a BLAST... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread