Looking For A Spot? So. Cal

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet PaleRider from an Ohio coin shooter. Metal detecting (dirt fishing) is similar to water fishing. No one is going to give you a honey hole. You will generalities such as public schools, parks, and other public lands. You will get your best finds if you get permission to hunt older yards in the area. Most municipalities have websites that have a link to their ordinances to see if detecting the town property is legal or not. Around here in Ohio, I can detect all town property. State parks require a permit from the park manager. The county metro parks require a permit for a specific date and time frame. You should look at your state forum for more info on Tnet. California

GL & HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Loco-digger is right on the fishing hole analogy. If a trout fisherman reveals his hole to other fishermen, and it becomes elbow to elbow at the fishing spot, then ... presto, the spot is no good anymore. Same for surfers who jealously guard their surf-break spots: It's physically impossible for multiple persons to ride the same wave (you bump into each other). So if a surfer(s) find a good spot of where the waves roll along a section of coast line, they tend to be tight-lipped to persons they don't know.

I've found reales, seateds, etc... within an hour radius of you. You just have to research.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for old trails and roads that may not be used anymore. As well as a lot of history research at your local library.
You can always take a drive down to the coast and do some beach and shallow water hunting with that Excal of yours.
Good luck!

OP
OP
P

PaleRider

Greenie
Dec 20, 2017
Temecula, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Detector Pro Headhunter Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Dudes, thanks so far for all the input. Rusty, I was already planning to do beach runs but the old trail/roads idea is a really good one. I have been living in Texas for the last six years and just returned home to So. Cal. Do the local libraries really have old docs/maps homesteads?

Thanks

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dudes, thanks so far for all the input. Rusty, I was already planning to do beach runs but the old trail/roads idea is a really good one. I have been living in Texas for the last six years and just returned home to So. Cal. Do the local libraries really have old docs/maps homesteads?

Thanks

I found a good book for my town in the library, but found a better one I downloaded from the county historical society. The Library of Congress might have some good info also. I found my oldest map of the area there as well as 4 newspapers from the 1800s.

OP
OP
P

PaleRider

Greenie
Dec 20, 2017
Temecula, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Detector Pro Headhunter Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Great tip, thanks! I just took a stab at it and Googled my town name + historical society and found a website. It actually had a free PDF historical map of my town, my next step is getting permissions. My town has a ton of western history, the Butterfield Stagecoach ran one block from my house.

Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread