Looking for advice

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing a lot of research but I'd figured I'd sign up and ask here also. I'm looking into getting my first detector. The areas I have in mind to dig are some woods at my parents where my dad says a house used to be, it must be an old site because I can't find it on any historical maps. There is also an old race track from the early 1900's that is now just all woods. I'm also only 40 minutes from the jersey shore, hoping the wife will go on these since she likes the beach.
I plan to off load some tools I no longer need since I switched from the field to sales. My thoughts are to start with a Bounty Hunter Tracker pro and a good pointer. I guess my question is, will it cover the areas I want? Or should I cry once and get a Garrett at pro since it is water proof and I'd like to eventually do some streams near my dads. Especially if I can get permission to do the old cannon ball factory, I think it is state owned, but a lot of people go tubing in the summer.
Oh, and Hi, from reading you all seem like a good bunch.

Upvote 0

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
I don't have the experience or knowledge, if you didn't want to beach hunt, I'd recommend something, but if I was close to beaches, I'd spend the extra money needed to get a good beach machine, which sounds like I'd have to get off my wallet and get the 800.

Someone outline for me what makes a good salt machine vs something like a Liberator? Is it the freq? I could probably search the site, but I bet the OP would like to know too....

OP
OP
Oldhead

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the experience or knowledge, if you didn't want to beach hunt, I'd recommend something, but if I was close to beaches, I'd spend the extra money needed to get a good beach machine, which sounds like I'd have to get off my wallet and get the 800.

Someone outline for me what makes a good salt machine vs something like a Liberator? Is it the freq? I could probably search the site, but I bet the OP would like to know too....

Actually I would, I've searched best detector for the beach and every site you click on the at pro is in the mix which supposedly isn't good for the beach. I've thought of starting out with a Bounty Hunter LRP, but I'm still keeping glued to craigslist and the FB marketplace to see if any deals come up. It's just a waiting game and how long you want to wait.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually I would, I've searched best detector for the beach and every site you click on the at pro is in the mix which supposedly isn't good for the beach. I've thought of starting out with a Bounty Hunter LRP, but I'm still keeping glued to craigslist and the FB marketplace to see if any deals come up. It's just a waiting game and how long you want to wait.

Speaking form experience with the AT PRO I cannot recommend it to any one if all you want to do is find targets six inches and under then its a great machine for that I have found many items with mine but none were deeper than 6 inches there are many other detectors than the AT Pro that would suit you better they may not be water proof but they will give you better depth then the AT PRO the new equinox 600 or 800 would be a much better choice I personally if I were to be wanting to upgrade would purchase a new equinox but for me I am still pretty happy with the Minelab X TERRA 705 which I purchased at the same time as the AT PRO in 09 or 2010 when I read reviews of the AT PRO I take most with a grain of salt simply because of my experience with it of course I may have purchased a dud when I purchased my AT PRO but I know of several people that had the same experiences with it as I did

I still have the AT PRO but I keep it for one reason and thats for when the grand kids come up and want to detect with me

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread