What's new

Happy to be back..😀

Velvet120

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 7, 2024
Messages
8
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Hi..I'm Velvet 120 im from Orange County N. Y.
It's been awhile since I've been involved with Metal Detecting and the one thing I've noticed is the Detectors of today seem to be a lot simpler from the ones in the 1990's from the videos I've been watching..I also noticed that a lot of detectorist use long handled shovels which seem to make a perfect plug which would save my old knees from getting on them to dig as much..So could some body recommend a shovel they like that also isn't to heavy?...Thanks..
 
Upvote 0
Moved for better exposure....

Are you wanting shovel for land? Check with our supporting vendors here, there are some good shovels on the market.
 
Moved for better exposure....

Are you wanting shovel for land? Check with our supporting vendors here, there are some good shovels on the market.
Yes for land..not knowing what to look for in a good shovel I figured I would ask what most people were using these days..I will check out the venders.. thanks for ur reply.
 
A sharp point serrated spade like what Predator makes is what I would recommend.
 
I once saw a guy using a garden “plug cutter”. It worked great, as long as he pinpointed it precisely
 
I don't wish to presume you plan to use the shovel in public parks or sports fields, but there are people that do (but shouldn't). The optics are terrible and will lead to banning detecting in parks and sports fields.
Sure, you can cut a nice plug with one, but you still have to kneel down to retrieve the target and reset the plug.
 
I don't wish to presume you plan to use the shovel in public parks or sports fields, but there are people that do (but shouldn't). The optics are terrible and will lead to banning detecting in parks and sports fields.
Sure, you can cut a nice plug with one, but you still have to kneel down to retrieve the target and reset the plug.
I can pothole a target and leave it like I was never there, just have to do it right.

Do a 3 sided cut on the grass plug, flip plug over using uncut 4th side as hinge, any dirt removed goes on towel and then returned to hole, then plug is flipped back over. By not cutting the forth side the roots continue to provide water and nourishment to the cut plug.

I've also used just a copper probe and large flathead screwdriver to recover target once pinpointed.

With that said, I much more prefer hunting water, much easier to dig targets, cool off, and view is usually better too. 😁
 
I use a 1942 military issue entrenching tool. it's served me well for almost 40 years. who else uses a shovel that's 84 years old? I also have a 1945 model too
 
I can pothole a target and leave it like I was never there, just have to do it right.

Do a 3 sided cut on the grass plug, flip plug over using uncut 4th side as hinge, any dirt removed goes on towel and then returned to hole, then plug is flipped back over. By not cutting the forth side the roots continue to provide water and nourishment to the cut plug.

I've also used just a copper probe and large flathead screwdriver to recover target once pinpointed.

With that said, I much more prefer hunting water, much easier to dig targets, cool off, and view is usually better too. 😁
Of course, I understand that there are some parks that are just wooded lots or vacant areas where a relic shovel would be of no consequence and required to get through roots.
Reread my post. I already said a relic shovel can cut a clean plug. However, you still have to retrieve the target so why not just use a hand digger since you have to kneel anyhow?
Groundskeepers and the general public don't like the looks of a shovel regardless how little an impact we make in the sod. On the other hand, they will almost never say anything to somebody using a hand digger.
I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept. Maybe it's the area of the country I'm in, but it only takes one pissed off Karen or groundskeeper to convince city council to add a "No-Detecting" ordinance.
 
Jus
Of course, I understand that there are some parks that are just wooded lots or vacant areas where a relic shovel would be of no consequence and required to get through roots.
Reread my post. I already said a relic shovel can cut a clean plug. However, you still have to retrieve the target so why not just use a hand digger since you have to kneel anyhow?
Groundskeepers and the general public don't like the looks of a shovel regardless how little an impact we make in the sod. On the other hand, they will almost never say anything to somebody using a hand digger.
I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept. Maybe it's the area of the country I'm in, but it only takes one pissed off Karen or groundskeeper to convince city council to add a "No-Detecting" ordinance.

Just saying you can hunt parks and leave no signs you were there, done so for 20 years when I did hunt parks, which as previously stated is not my preferred area, I prefer beaches.

I've hunted parks with others, all had small shovels and no one ever said a word, parks still allows detecting no problem. If park rules says no shovels or digging I used pinpointer, copper probe ,and long flat screwdriver.
 
There is a torque/force disparity between standing with your foot on a shovel and kneeling using your arms on hand tool. We can choose tools for best mechanical advantage.
 
I can't get out and do that phsycal type of work anymore BUT when I did I ALWAYS carried a trash bag with me to head off those that want to complain about one thing or another ! Plus it made me feel like I ways doing a good thing by picking up another's trash to improve my surrounding's ! For me It was just another way for me to enjoy my day !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom