austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm too old, actually too lazy, to venture forth anymore, but if you check the 1891 Express-News(I didn't keep the article), it tells of a chest of mid 1820-1830 Mexican gold coins found at the old creek crossing over at Sutherland Springs. I "think" they called it Miller's Crossing(?), but I don't really remember. UTSA has the microfilm of the Express and it gives the name. They called it Santa Anna's treasure. There may be more, it's close to you and maybe worth a look. They have a museum there and maybe you can ask them. Hope this helps...

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Austin, i will certainly hunt around the crossing. My wife knows were Millers crossing is. About 10 years ago i was able to hunt the sutherland springs little ghost town which has a bank, theater, and a few other small building on the main road of it's time. But i really didn't find much of interest, the land owner said it may have been due to the several bad floods in the area over the years. I did find a licence plate from Austria that dated from 1927. From what i hear the crossing is dried up now, so I'll start right in the middle of it and work my way out if i can. I'll keep ya posted. Thank you for the info.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem. I wish I had made a copy of that story, but I was working on something else and just passed it by. If I recall, it was April or May of 1891 and the folks pulled up to a bank in San Antonio in a wagon with the chest in back and said they found it along/in the bank at Miller's Crossing. With all the floods when we used to have rain, there might be anything along that creek or in the banks. Someone once showed me a map and said the place downstream where the creek bends might produce. They never looked, neither did I. Best of luck to you...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread