OP
OP
P

Philo Beddoe

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom. If you’re still checking in here, I’d like to hear you weigh in on this thread that you may very well be familiar with. This type of TH is interesting to me. I’d like to hear some different perspectives on it though. My feeling is much of it is real, though I also can’t help but think in many cases, particularly in hunting, that people may see what they’re wanting to see in the natural landscape. But aside from that, I’d like to know what you’re knowledge would have to say about this type of hunting overall. Thanks.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...5-guide-vault-treasure-hunting-condensed.html

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, check out my other posts. People say don't share blahblah. Signs and symbols. It's in Griffith Park. Portola expedition camped near where the pics are taken.

OP
OP
P

Philo Beddoe

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, check out my other posts. People say don't share blahblah. Signs and symbols. It's in Griffith Park. Portola expedition camped near where the pics are taken.

Interesting pics Dave. I live pretty close to GP being in Burbank. If you ever go nose around up there again and want company let me know.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Prospectors club mentioned above is in Brea, my hometown, a nice bunch of gold hunters. There is also a club in Garden Grove called the Wescoasters. I belonged to this club for over ten years. I urge you to visit. I think the next meeting is 2-13-19 they will be discussing pinpointers. I moved 900 miles north and had to quit both clubs.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Philo-Beddoe and SuperDave : You've given me a link/post that's over 100 pages long ! :) You'd need to direct me to a specific individual(s) post(s) that you want me to specifically look at.

I've got over 100 reales, and a few hundred phoenix buttons from CA sites. And have hunted many many mission era (ie: "el camino real") sites. And my mentor, before me, was hitting mission type sites (and even several of the mission!) back in the 1970s and '80s, when you could get away with it (simply knock on the door, and the priest on duty could say "sure"). I have hunted 2 of them in that fashion myself, via some credentials I hold (d/t they're private, not public property). The only reason I say all this, is to preface, to show you I have a bit of ... uh ... ability to speak on the subject of pre-CA-statehood CA (ie.: Spanish and Mexican period sites).

So with all that said, and glancing at the links title, and browsing through a bit : I'm going to have to say I put zero stock in "vaults", and "marker clues" (cryptograms, etc....).

As for "vaults" (ie.: big treasures, gold/silver of mission era origin) I don't believe it for a minute. The missions here were at the remotest ends of the earth, for that time period (no refined metals, no manufactured goods, etc...). So when trade and supply ships DID arrive, they wanted trade and manufactured goods. Not gold & silver . Ie.: As if there was a place they could have spent such $$ in the first place. Doh!

There's been extensive archie digs at all the missions. And ... aside from trinkets and some silver reales (fumble fingers stuff), there is NO gold , in any of the museum's dug collections, to my knowledge. Like Carmel mission (where I lead tours), there was extensive digs/sifts from the 1930s to 1950s, during the restorations. And they have dozens of silver reales , lots of cool buttons, crucifixes, etc.... from that. Ok ... where's the "gold" ? Simply not there. And in all of CA, I know of perhaps 8 or 10 escudos dug by md'rs (a few by some friends of mine). Yet hundreds and hundreds of silver reales from the same fellows. And we're talking about some of the most ... uh ... "brazen" guys around who md'd in that era. Ok, where's the gold ?

As for marker clues (symbols , cryptograms, ciphers, etc...) : Me thinks that anyone who runs around studying uncanny shaped rocks, scribbles marks, etc.... : Has watched one-too-many episodes of Raiders of the Lost Ark movie. Not trying to knock anyone here, but ... you asked, so I'm answering.

I've been in on a few cache finds. And been commissioned to find several "tame" ones . Eg.: next of kin survivor relatives call me out d/t they have suspicion that their late grandfather or husband or brother or whatever, had buried stuff. And in each and every case, there's nothing out of the ordinary that would have marked the site. They'd be just at the base of a wall, or the corner of a barn, or under the house next to an upright support, etc..... Nothing conspiratorial, fraternal, mysterious, etc.....

And think of it: If you were going to bury something, it's presumably to "hide" it. Right ? (Lest why else bury it). Ok, then what do they do next ? Riddle the site with clue markers, for someone else who comes along ? Make and pass out treasure maps with mystery symbols for all to see ? It's great for Hollywood and the back of Capt'n Crunch boxes, but , that's about it.

If I were suspecting caches, I'd certainly swing my equipment @ "likely spots", sure. But to try to read into any funny squiggle on a rock, ..... no. But that's just me.

stan1947

Nov 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello:
My name is Henry and would love to go on metal detecting hunts. I have been doing metal detecting since 2013 . Iam also into gold planning and sluiceing. Iam retired and have a lot of time to spend on detecting.. I live in the San Gabriel valley area. If interested send me a email at [email protected]

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SoCal TNet members. New to this great forum, but eager to get started and out in the field. Wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellow hunters for day trips or longer. I'm really looking to hunt lost legends, caches, mines, and the like. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and research for a short list of my own, but also wouldn't mind joining on your hunts as well. I'm in the SFV part of L.A., but happy to venture out to meet. If anyone is interested in teaming up give me a shout. Thank you everyone for reading!

Philo

Hello,

I was in Burbank for over 20 years, now I'm in North Hollywood right next door.

Been treasure hunting since 1985.
It would be great to get together for some searching.

And I will chase research tips and clues until I hit a solid rock wall.
Then I'll start chipping away at the wall.

SanMan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread