Looking for silver mineral samples

Liesel

Feb 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
I’m wondering if you can help me out or point me in the direction of someone who can? I’m looking for silver, silver ore and mineral samples from Spanish and Spanish American mints and mines. More detailed information follows-
My name is Liesel Gentelli and I am a PhD student at the University of Western Australia. I’m researching the provenance of Spanish silver coins found in association with ships wrecked on the Western Australian coast from the 16th to 19th centuries. I have been able to undertake preliminary studies, which enabled me to potentially identify mint of origin of silver coins from four significant wrecks around our coast and to potentially distinguish between coins minted under different Spanish sovereigns. In addition I am trying to source small samples of silver and silver ore from the mines in Spanish America that were used for the original production in order to be able to identify changes in the mixture of coins leaving Spanish America over time. I would like assistance in procuring these samples, I am willing to pay for both the silver and the postal charges and additionally if you would like the material back, to return it to you essentially undamaged.
Thanks,
Liesel Gentelli

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wouldn't the coins/bars/jewelry have the same identifying trace elements as the ores? I would think that since no refining method used in the 1500's to 1800's was capable of producing 100.00% pure silver or gold that a detailed analysis of the coinage/jewelry from the regions in question would be as likely to prove the origin as ore samples.
I would suggest that contacting some geologists or mining engineers might be a productive road for ore samples.
These two resources in the US come to mind:
Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration @ Mining Metallurgy and Exploration - SME and the Colorado School of Mines.

Google believes that somewhere on this list you may find what you need==> Mining, Geophysics and Geology Professional Associations - EduMine
Interesting approach to an interesting subject. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread