LOOKING TO BUY A F5....................

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a good ID machine in the 400-500 dollar range and the F5 has my interest peaked. Could some F5 users please tell me what they think of that unit. I mostly hunt for relics and homesites. Could some F5 users tell me there experience with the machine and if you would buy another if you had to do it over again. The other machine I'm interested in is the Tesoro DeLeon.

Thanks

KFB

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I have a F5 but have only used it for about 20min.JD of MO used it some also.Can't really give you anything except if it says a target is there,then it's there and the depth was right on.I may have a chance to use it more this wknd? Everything I have heard about the DeLeon has been positive.One person I know was having depth trouble but after he sent it in,he said it goes deep.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The F5 is a decent detector with a larger numerical ID & features not found on the De Leon. I don't think most people would be disappointed. I found coins 4" deep in bad ground. That they got that deep in hard ground probably means everyone missed them for 20-30 years. HH, George (MN)

joelt

Jan 5, 2007
Far North Austin
Detector(s) used
F5, F4, Sidewinder
I've owned quite a few detectors, including XLT, Cortes, DeLeon as well as lower end BH 3300/F4. Usually, I'm dissappointed with the more expensive detectors, I usually feel they don't offer much for the price or are unnecessarily complicated (so you know where I'm coming from). However, I'm definitely happy with the F5, I plan on keeping it for some time. The only drawback is I'm waiting for a small coil to come out, but the 4" does work with it.

I would think the only reason you would pick the DeLeon over the F5 is if you are already a Tesoro fan/user and you only want to relic hunt. The F5 will give you more resolution on the coin range, I think DeLeon just gives a 95 if I recall. It also is as easy as any machine to ground balance, and will tell you when its not balanced. I like the separate gain/threshold knobs and pinpointing with the standard coil is easy. I also like when I go clad hunting I can just turn the beep into a simple beep and relic hunting I can change to a more informative beep in discriminate mode. They both like to "blank out" on surface or big metal. Don't get me wrong the DeLeon is a nice machine. I just find the F5 more flexible, you can set it up like a DeLeon or other machine, performs well, yet still _very_ easy to use. The Tesoro might avoid iron better when you turn it on, but I would believe the F5 can be set up similarly with the right gain/threshold. I haven't tried this side-by-side, so this is purely speculative. If someone has done a side-by-side of iron elimination/discrimination that would be interesting.

snizzard

Greenie
Apr 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
F5
I ordered one today! Not only do I like that user interface on the F5, they got a great logo. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread