Looking to ID some old stuff...

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe one of you "ole guys", ( I'm only 64 ), could tell me what some of these things are? I recognize the cast iron "S" as off a weather vane and the bottle stoppers. I think the little wire thing with the weight is from a cow bell. Not sure about the one with the cone shaped brass thing on the end. The closeups are what I'm wondering about, the cow magnet was added to hold 'em up on the scanner.

Attachments

• MD finds.JPG
    MD finds.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 143
  • New view.JPG
    New view.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 113
  • Close up.JPG
    Close up.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of a site were these found in? Were they all buried?
Some were metal detector finds some were not. They were found in an area that once had a large Packing House and livestock facility. Some of the items were laying in a ruble pile. The large cross is almost pure silver, must have belonged to a Rabbi. They were a constant presence in packing facilities that slaughtered Kosher Meat. A large centurion barn stood nearby, some items were dug there also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Interesting mix. The top right loop with stem on it looks like part of an antique syringe/injecting device.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you have 2 canteen stoppers and a bell clanger. Neat mix of finds, Breezie

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The object at the lower left corner of the photo is a Schrader's Patent stopper for hot water bags. Look closely at the supersized version of the posted photo and you'll see the start of the patent-date marking on the top of the stopper's edge. (To view the supersized version, click on the image in the post, then when the lareger version appears, click on it.)

It was patented on March 27, 1906 by G.H.F. Schrader as a "Stopper for hot water bags." Here's a copy of the inventor's diagram from the US Patent (#816,503).

Attachments

• patent-diagram_stopper-for-hotwater-bags_Schrader-1902-patent_TN.jpg
    patent-diagram_stopper-for-hotwater-bags_Schrader-1902-patent_TN.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Paleopilot wrote:
> The large cross is almost pure silver, must have belonged to a Rabi.

I hope you won't mind hearing a Factual correction. Rabbi is the honorific title given to a religion-teacher in the Jewish religion. Therefore, a rabbi would not be using a Christian cross in doing Kosher inspections/blessings.

Sidenote:
Jesus was addressed as "Rabbi" by various Jews during his ministry as told in the Gospels in the Christian Bible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleopilot wrote:
> The large cross is almost pure silver, must have belonged to a Rabbi.

I hope you won't mind hearing a Factual correction. Rabbi is the honorific title given to a religion-teacher in the Jewish religion. Therefore, a rabbi would not be using a Christian cross in doing Kosher inspections/blessings.

Sidenote:
Jesus was addressed as "Rabbi" by various Jews during his ministry as told in the Gospels in the Christian Bible.
> The large cross is almost pure silver, must have belonged to a Rabbi.

Rest of the markings include, Pat. Mar. 27.1906 & Oct. 27. 1908 - S.G.N. INC. NY. As far as the "Rabbi" thing, That's what everyone called the guy with the funny hat and beard that blessed the hanging carcasses in the tempering coolers of all the Kosher-Kill plants in this area, (then and now). I know very little of the Jewish Faith, and certainly not wanting to offend anyone. But, I do know for a fact, they were called Rabbi. The silver cross may have come from who knows where? Thank you for your expert opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleopilot wrote:

Sidenote:
Ask an average person to describe kosher food and they might say it is food "blessed by a rabbi." The word "kosher," however, is Hebrew for "fit" or "appropriate" and describes the food that is suitable for a Jew to eat. With its roots in the Hebrew Bible, the system of defining which foods are kosher was developed by the rabbis of late antiquity. Its application to changing realities has been the work of subsequent generations.
If my spelling error in the listing caused any problems, I'm truly sorry, and they have been corrected.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleopilot wrote:

Sidenote:
Did a search and now I see your point. Ask the Reform Rabbi - Jewish Son Wears Cross from Christian Wife - Parents Hurt
The silver cross probably came from somewhere other. Thank you for enlightening me.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The B&B lever looks like part of the height adjusting mechanism from the windows in my parents house (built 1958). They stuck out of the top of the stiles of the lower sash near the casing. You had to push these with your thumbs to raise and lower the windows. They were spring loaded to give tension to set the window height where ever you wanted. I looked for a picture of them but had no luck as I don't know what to call them.

The 'other' bottle stopper is a cork with a finger pull corkscrew still in it. Cool!

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the item at the top left with ring and heavily worn stem is a choke pull ring from an old car.

When you start an old engine with a hand crank there is a ring or loop under the radiator you pull to manually choke the carb while cranking.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• B&B.JPG
    B&B.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the item at the top left with ring and heavily worn stem is a choke pull ring from an old car.

When you start an old engine with a hand crank there is a ring or loop under the radiator you pull to manually choke the carb while cranking.

DCMatt
That one's still a mystery...It's probably not a handle from a veterinarian's syringe because they were usually nickel plated brass, this thing is cast-steel and until it was cleaned in my tumbler, was very rusty. If It's a choke-pull, It's one that I'm not familiar with, however the wear marks on the stem are consistent with something that vibrated a LOT. Probably why it shed It's keeper-key and was lost. You may be right.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oldstuff.jpg

I think this item may be the remains of a weighted toilet tank ball and rod.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Funny you should mention that Matt, as I almost said that the pull ring looked like it might have been a cistern pull from an old toilet? But I couldn't find a match, and a choke pull sounded much cooler.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
On the "S" shaped item, it appears that it was connected on the bottom, am I seeing that right? If so, I'm not sure it was from a weathervane, as I've only ever seen the directional letters attached at the side.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread