✅ SOLVED Looks like an ear of corn

DiggerKeith

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this the other day it read a silver dime on my at pro. It looks like a ear of corn its about 6 inches long very heavy about 2 pounds. when I scratched back side it shined up either silver or lead.
Any idea what this is and what it was used for? corn.png

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look's like a cornbread mold that someone used it for pouring lead into. Two pounds tho. Cool find.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the old days, there were cast iron corn cookers that would cook over a camp fire or in an old fireplace. Like mentioned above, there were also these that some would make cornbread in. Don't know if there was any difference in the items, or if they were just used for multiple things. Oh, and lots of times something like this was heated, butter was melted in it, then the cooked corn-on-the-cob was dipped in the melted, mouth-watering butter!! :toothy4:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DiggerKeith

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is soft metal and solid i thought it could have been a paperweight im almost certain its solid lead,,

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it magnetic? If not, then probably lead, and NOT very good for melting butter in! :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean someone might have used a cornbread mold and put in lead to make it.. I love my cornbread! Or a corn on the cob mold... >mold< It must be lead.... Now I want cornbread. I would look for a pic but I'm watching the walking dead. Sorry!

Upvote 0

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean someone might have used a cornbread mold and put in lead to make it..

My uncle did this very thing. He would melt down scrap lead (old wheel weights, fishing weights or spent bullets) for reloading purposes. He poured the cleaned lead into cast iron corn muffin pans to make his ingots. When he passed away I threw out ALL of his cast iron mufffin pans when I found lead ingots shaped like biscuits and corn cobs.

I did a google image search for lead corn weight and it looks like my uncle wasn't the only one that used the cornbread pan for an ingot mold.

Upvote 0

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My uncle did this very thing. He would melt down scrap lead (old wheel weights, fishing weights or spent bullets) for reloading purposes. He poured the cleaned lead into cast iron corn muffin pans to make his ingots. When he passed away I threw out ALL of his cast iron mufffin pans when I found lead ingots shaped like biscuits and corn cobs.

I did a google image search for lead corn weight and it looks like my uncle wasn't the only one that used the cornbread pan for an ingot mold.

I have also seen lead ingots that were cast the same way.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I have melted down hundreds of pounds of scrap lead and I have an old cornbread cast iron mold that I pour it into for my ingots. Then I melt the ingots which are now clean lead alloy (wheel weights aren't pure lead) in another pot to cast my fishing sinkers. P.S. old wheel weights are not good for casting bullets since they usually contain antimony which is not good for firearm bores. I used to cast a lot of muzzle loading bullets and only used scrap like old plumbing, roof flashing and wire sheathing which is much purer lead than wheel weights. If the back is flat it is not a clock weight. Cuckoo clock weights are made to look like pine cones, not corn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I've made quite a few of those. drilled a hole in them for throw line weights on the river.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it round or flat on one side? If round I will have to agree with mojjax that it is a clock weight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DiggerKeith

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is flat on the back side. wonder why the guy would have thrown that in his yard? Thanks for the info on the item friends. Nice to know what it was.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread