What's new

lorraine cleaning silver

  • Thread starter Thread starter digum smacks
  • Start date Start date
D

digum smacks

Guest
you seem to be the master at cleaning silver .whats the secret?i have everything but a ultrasonic cleaner..i do electrolysis.a dremmel all kinds of silver polish.or does it take a ton of time? thanx
 
Upvote 0
snooksion said:
you seem to be the master at cleaning silver .whats the secret?i have everything but a ultrasonic cleaner..i do electrolysis.a dremmel all kinds of silver polish.or does it take a ton of time? thanx

thank you for the compliment, snooksion.

Only if the ring is thickly tarnished does it take a bit more time because that is the only time that I use electrolysis..if there is a heavy layer of tarnish on the silver; otherwise,for less tarnished items, it takes about 15 minutes to complete: Soak in Tarn-X for about 5 minutes; rinse in cool water; gently scrub off the loosened tarnish with either a soft toothbrush or a wire brush if necessary.

If I electrolysize, I leave it in the solution for about 30 minutes; rinse in cool water; gently scrub the loosened tarnish with a soft toothbrush or a wire brush if necessary.

Repeat the process until you are satisfied with the results.

Then I use "Jewelers" rouge ...black crayon applied to a "chamois " rag..and shine the item until I am satisfied with the results..the jewelers' rouge is excellent for getting a shine. I use it instead of silver polish.

I hope this helps you
Lorraine
 
thanks for the tip i do use tarn-x but it seems to weaken over time
 
What prevents a white look to silver rings? Ever have that happen? Like a dull white ish look.... ??? Maybe I just quit too soon... I used a Mr. Clean Magic sponge also...?
 
Skipper said:
What prevents a white look to silver rings? Ever have that happen? Like a dull white ish look.... ??? Maybe I just quit too soon... I used a Mr. Clean Magic sponge also...?

That happens with my silver rings if I leave them too long in the Tarn-X; but the silver quickly comes back with the Baking soda scrub.
 
SEE? I am not the only one that thinks you are the Queen of cleaning silver! I think you should do an article using a really tarnished silver piece and show a step by step how to! ::)
 
Thank you for that. I'll try that. I enjoy your posts.
 
mumszie said:
SEE? I am not the only one that thinks you are the Queen of cleaning silver! I think you should do an article using a really tarnished silver piece and show a step by step how to! ::)

Mumszie, you do a beautiful job on cleaning your silver finds.
I enjoy your posts very much.

Lorranie
 
Thanks Lorraine for the info on
how you clean your jewelery finds. :thumbsup:
They always look like they just came
from the store when you post. HH
Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
i use tooth paste shines it right up rinse and dry it off and in to a satin or leather bag
 
olepossum said:
i use tooth paste shines it right up rinse and dry it off and in to a satin or leather bag

I'll have to try that .....sounds easier and a time saver

Thanks for the tip,olepossum

Lorraine
 
I found two silver rings yesterday that were almost unrecognizable as rings due to the very thick black crust on them... Broke off easy enough, but they are still black... Trying some vinegar (works great on pennies), but may have to try electrolysis.. They are both really old rings, stamped "Sterling" instead of .925 and the big one is an indian chief with full headdress..
Can you tell me your recipe for electrolysis solution? I think when I used it before, I put a teaspoon of sea salt in a cup of water..??

Thanks for any help, I really want to clean that one ring up good.. The other is so dainty and thin from corrosion, I dont expect to clean it without it breaking..
 
Thanks for any help, I really want to clean that one ring up good.. The other is so dainty and thin from corrosion, I dont expect to clean it without it breaking..
[/quote]

Congrats on the two sterling ring finds, S S !

Here's what I use for electrolysis: Arm & Hammer Washing Soda ( not baking soda)...2 TBSP /quart H2O
White Vinegar............................................................2 TBSP added.

If the thick crust has already been removed, then I would just soak the ring in Tarn-X and lightly scrub with baking soda, or as another forum memeber suggested..toothpaste, which I believe contains baking soda or something similar in chemical make-up.

But if there is still some crust on it, then repeat the electrolysis as necessary.

For that delicate ring, I would electrolyze it , but would use a very soft toothbrush to gently remove the remaining tarnish

I hope this helps you.

Please post the progress of this cleaning...I am interested in how the rings turn out.

Lorraine
 
Thanks Lorraine!
But I am guessing from your instructions, when you say "electrolysis", you dont mean with the 12v electrical setup?? Just the two ingredients and soaking?
I tried the vinegar, and it helped with leftover crusting, but not the rough blackness.... I will have to get a bottle of tarn-x.. How long do you soak in tarn-x between brushing?

I will post before and after pic's when I get them done..
 
Silver Surfer said:
Thanks Lorraine!
But I am guessing from your instructions, when you say "electrolysis", you dont mean with the 12v electrical setup?? Just the two ingredients and soaking?
I tried the vinegar, and it helped with leftover crusting, but not the rough blackness.... I will have to get a bottle of tarn-x.. How long do you soak in tarn-x between brushing?

I will post before and after pic's when I get them done..

Silver Surfer, I do mean the 12 V electrical set up...and the ingredients that I put into the glass container are the water, washing soda, and vinegar.

Sometimes I use the plug in ; and sometimes I use the "Lantern" Battery

Not too long for soaking in Tarn-X....2-3 minutes

Here's a some pics of my set up
 

Attachments

  • ec.webp
    ec.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 529
  • elec.webp
    elec.webp
    62.5 KB · Views: 515
  • cooking.webp
    cooking.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 519
olepossum said:
i use tooth paste shines it right up rinse and dry it off and in to a satin or leather bag

Thats the best stuff I found to use, my silver has its own brush and paste :laughing7:

I was using Flitz but the toothpaste worked better
 
You should probably just use Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) and not the vinegar. If you want to use vinegar, use it prior or after. They will fight with each other, and you dont want that, plus the vinegar will eat up all the sodium carbonate, and basicly you will have water-just use sodium carbonate. One is a base and one is an acid. You shouldnt mix them. The sodium carbonate is the electrolyte, if you put in vinegar, it ruins that-no real electrical work then. What the reverse electrolysis does is get the salts out of the metal. And it takes some of the crust of as a side feature through the fizzing action. It can pit the surface of silver, so be careful, and only use enough power to just start to fizz lightly. I use a switchable power supply, and slowly go higher until it just starts to fizz on the object. You can make Sodium Carbonate if you cant find washing soda at your grocery. You take Sodium Bicarbonate(baking soda) and put a cup of it on a sheet of aluminum foil. Put it in your oven for an hour at 350 degrees and it will turn into sodium carbonate. That is the recommended chemical to use. Usually about 1 teaspoon per pint or so of distilled water. Always rinse good and leave in clean water to make sure it is all rinsed.
 
stevemc said:
You should probably just use Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) and not the vinegar.

Thank you for that information, Steve....I did not realize that about the vinegar addition.

I appreciate the info.

Lorraine
 
When I was making silver jewelry, after soldering, filing and sanding were done I would use a trammel tool to polish first with Tripoli. You would swear it was a great polish but then I would use rouge on the trammel and Wow! A mirror finish. I have gotten good results doing this after Tarn's on my silver finds.
You could also try dipping it in tarnish after the Tarn-ex. Then when your done polishing you have the shiny parts contrasting nicely with the dark recessed areas (a popular jewelers technique that really works well on "Indian" style jewelry)
I wonder if there are any stones that could be hurt by the Tarn-ex. I used it on a peridot ring with no effect, but some stones might suffer like maybe opal, lapis, turquoise. ??
Jim
 
[I wonder if there are any stones that could be hurt by the Tarn-ex. I used it on a peridot ring with no effect, but some stones might suffer like maybe opal, lapis, turquoise. ??
Jim
[/quote]


Yes, Jim..there are many stones that would be ruined if subjected to Tarn-X. Before I was more careful, I ruined a beautiful stone by carelessly allowing it to come in contact with Tarn-X while soaking ....it became transparent..lost all its color :(

Now I do not soak any stones ...I am very careful how I place just the silver band in the Tarn-X in a shallow container with the stone having no contact with the Tarn-X

I am no very knowledgeable about gem stones....but there are links on the internet explaining about "porous" and ''non -porous" stones.


Lorraine
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom