What's new

Don’t Throw Away that Ugly Corroded Ring

LawrencetheMDer

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
2,979
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio and Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore w M8, M11 and M15 coils, , Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hurt my back recently and can’t even hold my Manticore let alone my T-Rex scoop so blogging more until I can hunt again (hopefully in 1-2 weeks)...

Recently found a completely corroded ring in the water (Gulf coast). It was sooo corroded and small that I immediately threw it in my junk pouch. I was surprised it was still in one piece after manhandling it with my fishing weights and other junk. When I got home, I again looked at the ring and thought for sure that there was nothing much left of the ring to investigate – surely if I even tried to clean it, it would fall-apart in my hands. A magnet was negative. What the heck. So I threw the ring in a jar of vinegar (mild acid) to clean it, somewhat. After a while, I started to scrape the corrosion off with my knife. The ring, surprisingly, seemed solid. After some length of time with my Swiss Army knife, tooth brush and jewelry cleaner, the ring started to take shape. It was a white metal; silver, gold? Without markings, I wondered what metal it could be...my acid tester was back home… I decided to measure the ring’s Specific gravity to ID the metal. As it turns out, it isn’t silver or gold but Nickel silver, also called German silver (SP= 8.8). It contains no actual silver. Nevertheless, what an interesting surprise (wish I had taken a photo before cleaning). Ya never know.

AI says a ring featuring two leaves side by side often holds significant meaning, primarily symbolizing growth, unity, and a strong connection between two individuals. The specific design, similar to a "Toi et Moi" (You and Me) style, emphasizes partnership and an intertwining journey.

Happy Hunting
 

Attachments

  • Daily hunt finds.webp
    Daily hunt finds.webp
    107.1 KB · Views: 153
  • German SIlver leaf ring.webp
    German SIlver leaf ring.webp
    181.5 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
Hurt my back recently and can’t even hold my Manticore let alone my T-Rex scoop so blogging more until I can hunt again (hopefully in 1-2 weeks)...

Recently found a completely corroded ring in the water (Gulf coast). It was sooo corroded and small that I immediately threw it in my junk pouch. I was surprised it was still in one piece after manhandling it with my fishing weights and other junk. When I got home, I again looked at the ring and thought for sure that there was nothing much left of the ring to investigate – surely if I even tried to clean it, it would fall-apart in my hands. A magnet was negative. What the heck. So I threw the ring in a jar of vinegar (mild acid) to clean it, somewhat. After a while, I started to scrape the corrosion off with my knife. The ring, surprisingly, seemed solid. After some length of time with my Swiss Army knife, tooth brush and jewelry cleaner, the ring started to take shape. It was a white metal; silver, gold? Without markings, I wondered what metal it could be...my acid tester was back home… I decided to measure the ring’s Specific gravity to ID the metal. As it turns out, it isn’t silver or gold but Nickel silver, also called German silver (SP= 8.8). It contains no actual silver. Nevertheless, what an interesting surprise (wish I had taken a photo before cleaning). Ya never know.

AI says a ring featuring two leaves side by side often holds significant meaning, primarily symbolizing growth, unity, and a strong connection between two individuals. The specific design, similar to a "Toi et Moi" (You and Me) style, emphasizes partnership and an intertwining journey.

Happy Hunting
Sweet recovery Lawrence!I hope your back gets better quickly. Back pain sucks. I had sciatica once for awhile made me a miserable person. I wouldn't wish back pain on my enemies.
 
Hope your back heals quickly Lawrence, rest and get well my brother.
 
Hurt my back recently and can’t even hold my Manticore let alone my T-Rex scoop so blogging more until I can hunt again (hopefully in 1-2 weeks)...

Recently found a completely corroded ring in the water (Gulf coast). It was sooo corroded and small that I immediately threw it in my junk pouch. I was surprised it was still in one piece after manhandling it with my fishing weights and other junk. When I got home, I again looked at the ring and thought for sure that there was nothing much left of the ring to investigate – surely if I even tried to clean it, it would fall-apart in my hands. A magnet was negative. What the heck. So I threw the ring in a jar of vinegar (mild acid) to clean it, somewhat. After a while, I started to scrape the corrosion off with my knife. The ring, surprisingly, seemed solid. After some length of time with my Swiss Army knife, tooth brush and jewelry cleaner, the ring started to take shape. It was a white metal; silver, gold? Without markings, I wondered what metal it could be...my acid tester was back home… I decided to measure the ring’s Specific gravity to ID the metal. As it turns out, it isn’t silver or gold but Nickel silver, also called German silver (SP= 8.8). It contains no actual silver. Nevertheless, what an interesting surprise (wish I had taken a photo before cleaning). Ya never know.

AI says a ring featuring two leaves side by side often holds significant meaning, primarily symbolizing growth, unity, and a strong connection between two individuals. The specific design, similar to a "Toi et Moi" (You and Me) style, emphasizes partnership and an intertwining journey.

Happy Hunting
Nice one
 
Hope that back gets back to normal. So you can get back to digging treasures!:icon_pirat:

Only dug one of those nickel silvers 2019, had no clue what it was, lucky

Hurt my back recently and can’t even hold my Manticore let alone my T-Rex scoop so blogging more until I can hunt again (hopefully in 1-2 weeks)...

Recently found a completely corroded ring in the water (Gulf coast). It was sooo corroded and small that I immediately threw it in my junk pouch. I was surprised it was still in one piece after manhandling it with my fishing weights and other junk. When I got home, I again looked at the ring and thought for sure that there was nothing much left of the ring to investigate – surely if I even tried to clean it, it would fall-apart in my hands. A magnet was negative. What the heck. So I threw the ring in a jar of vinegar (mild acid) to clean it, somewhat. After a while, I started to scrape the corrosion off with my knife. The ring, surprisingly, seemed solid. After some length of time with my Swiss Army knife, tooth brush and jewelry cleaner, the ring started to take shape. It was a white metal; silver, gold? Without markings, I wondered what metal it could be...my acid tester was back home… I decided to measure the ring’s Specific gravity to ID the metal. As it turns out, it isn’t silver or gold but Nickel silver, also called German silver (SP= 8.8). It contains no actual silver. Nevertheless, what an interesting surprise (wish I had taken a photo before cleaning). Ya never know.

AI says a ring featuring two leaves side by side often holds significant meaning, primarily symbolizing growth, unity, and a strong connection between two individuals. The specific design, similar to a "Toi et Moi" (You and Me) style, emphasizes partnership and an intertwining journey.

Happy Hunting
I’m surprised ypur Manticore picked it up, mine detects only pennies and the occasional silver dime, it reads a lot of stuff, there is nothing positive in the sound when it detects anything other than a penny. I’m a little disappointed with it. I rely so much on the visual ID and 70 to 85 reading, I can’t seem to break from that, and I don’t dig any other numbers. Ever since I put down my White’s GMT I have never found a ring or anything remotely gold or even nickel. What VDI did the german silver ring read btw?
 
I’m surprised ypur Manticore picked it up, mine detects only pennies and the occasional silver dime, it reads a lot of stuff, there is nothing positive in the sound when it detects anything other than a penny. I’m a little disappointed with it. I rely so much on the visual ID and 70 to 85 reading, I can’t seem to break from that, and I don’t dig any other numbers. Ever since I put down my White’s GMT I have never found a ring or anything remotely gold or even nickel. What VDI did the german silver ring read btw?
First off start Digging everything!
 
I’m surprised ypur Manticore picked it up, mine detects only pennies and the occasional silver dime, it reads a lot of stuff, there is nothing positive in the sound when it detects anything other than a penny. I’m a little disappointed with it. I rely so much on the visual ID and 70 to 85 reading, I can’t seem to break from that, and I don’t dig any other numbers. Ever since I put down my White’s GMT I have never found a ring or anything remotely gold or even nickel. What VDI did the german silver ring read btw?
Do you think your settings might be off some where. I would be doing some testing on the targets you want to dig and maybe adjusting for them?

Unfortunately, I don't have a Manticore, maybe someday. For right now I use a old Dinosaur (excalibur) And a PI.. Fisher AQ. I tested the Manticore for a few months, Loved it, very nice machine and I would rank it tops with the D2. Where I hunt I need "deep" as possible in saltwater so the two machines I have cover that area very well. The Nickel ring was found with the PI so I dig all. You can hear the confusion when I dug the nickel ring, I could not figure it out, most I can.
 
I’m surprised ypur Manticore picked it up, mine detects only pennies and the occasional silver dime, it reads a lot of stuff, there is nothing positive in the sound when it detects anything other than a penny. I’m a little disappointed with it. I rely so much on the visual ID and 70 to 85 reading, I can’t seem to break from that, and I don’t dig any other numbers. Ever since I put down my White’s GMT I have never found a ring or anything remotely gold or even nickel. What VDI did the german silver ring read btw?
I published this graph elsewhere, but it shows where the gold rings are found and, for the most part, they're found under 70!!! Best range for gold is VID 10-29. Nickels are 26-28. Pulltabs 30-47 (about 80% of them). Very heavy gold rings can be found in 70s-80s and 22k-24k rings can be found in upper 80s. Haven't studied silver rings, yet, but found several in VID 60s, about same as cents. Don't remember what German silver ring rang up; may have been 20 but not sure.
Nickels:
VID
Number of Nickels
VID 26 - 1
VID 27 - 7
VID 28 - 39
VID 29 - 6
VID 30 - 0


Gold Rings vs Pulltabs:

1768747045935.webp
 
Last edited:
Is Nickel Silver is that Americanized name for Alpaca??
Cause Alpaca is what they created in Germany around 1823 I think ( after organized competition) and it was to substitute Real Silver Jewelry with something more affordable and it was 60 % copper, 20 % Zinc, 20 % Nickel. But I think the actual % depended on manufacturer.
 
Is Nickel Silver is that Americanized name for Alpaca??
Cause Alpaca is what they created in Germany around 1823 I think ( after organized competition) and it was to substitute Real Silver Jewelry with something more affordable and it was 60 % copper, 20 % Zinc, 20 % Nickel. But I think the actual % depended on manufacturer.
Yes. I also recall there was a USA trial cent made by ??? (name starts w an "F", Ferganwiser cent??) around 1856 that was German Silver, aka Alpaca aka Nickel silver.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom