Losing buttons in a run down...

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I dug so much junk on the day I got out to the park I?ve been hitting. Found one interesting find and one weird observation.

What was weird about my observation? For the last three or four hunts, I?ve found around 15-20 pennies on the surface. This just doesn?t happen. Canada stopped making the penny in 2012. Someone must have tossed them into the field over a fairly large area within the last year or two.

My only interesting find only came with digging a huge amount of trash which seems to be how it goes at this park and is getting a little frustrating.
IMG_0504.jpg

With a VDI in the 80s about 5-6? down, I pulled this button which had unmistakable shine. It belongs to a Metropolitan Toronto Police uniform.
IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg

The Metropolitan Toronto Police Force operated from 1957-1998. Prior to this there?s some pretty interesting and checkered history with the TO police. Some impressive (spying in US on Fenians) and overlordish (suppression of labour movements). They dropped ?Metropolitan? in 1998.
IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg

What I don?t know:
- Hoping it?s to the older side based on depth.
- made by Buttons Limited, Birmingham. History of this company/backing isn?t clear when it was sold. Anyone know anything about the company that would help date?
- Pretty sure it?s silver plated but of course not 100% sure (depth plus shine plus easy clean despite presence of rusty iron)
- Not sure if this was part of dress uniform or standard uniform. Gotta think dress uniform.

Happy hunting out there!
Dig
IMG_0512.jpg

Upvote 12

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the button, cleaned up good

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool button that cleaned up nicely! congrats!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button, congrats! That trash pile looks about right for Reno parks, I guess it's like that elsewhere.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nice button, congrats! That trash pile looks about right for Reno parks, I guess it's like that elsewhere.

Thanks! The line I was walking was through a long stretch where the ground forms a long dip where the grass stays long. It?s that area of a park we all hate a little because the long grass collects and hides cans and crap until the mower comes by...
IMG_0528.jpg
Canslaw kid. Canslaw...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread