Lost Nez Perce gold mine in the eaglecap wilderness

trapping-234

Apr 19, 2023
Has anyone ever heard of this? Thereā€™s very little information, but legend has it that an Indian discovered a pocket of gold nuggets somewhere back by the minam river and he would go back every summer for a few days and get enough to get him through the year. i have heard it enough that I believe thereā€™s some truth to it. I believe it is most likely on a tributary of the minam river. Anyone else know anything about this? Thanks

Upvote 2

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Do your own research into this to get a fairly close idea of what to expect on this River and area ! Maps , recorded gold mines , claims , Department of Natural Resorces for that state , local state college's , Gold prospectors clubs in that state ! And the list goes on and on for resources of info. Most states have a free "list of resources , data ,etc." that we all paid for and it's well worth the effort to get this from the state. It also has articles that are for $$$ and some of them will steer you in the right direction ! Good Luck on your quest ! Some of the "talk" a person gets on the net is sorts unreliable when it comes to gold honey holes !

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone ever heard of this? Thereā€™s very little information, but legend has it that an Indian discovered a pocket of gold nuggets somewhere back by the minam river and he would go back every summer for a few days and get enough to get him through the year. i have heard it enough that I believe thereā€™s some truth to it. I believe it is most likely on a tributary of the minam river. Anyone else know anything about this? Thanks
Check out mylandmatters near Red's Horse camp. Couple of old prospects there and further up the Minam near the mouth theres quite a few prospects as well. Rugged country and designated Wilderness too now so unless you have a plane to land at Red's kinda a heckuva hike in. Not too sure if Reds is open for public landing anymore either couple years ago they had to helicopter a wrecked plane outta there. Good luck! Be fun just to head up that way especially around mushroom season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread