What's new

Lots of firsts! some silver (thimble ), gold (old pendant) and 1st wheat

SirWalterRaleigh

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2015
Messages
318
Reaction score
334
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of firsts! some silver (thimble ), Hungarian gold? (old pendant) and 1st wheat

A few days ago found this old Sterns Brothers silver thimble - it has their company stamp and sterling printed around the outer band. It's my first piece of silver since starting at the end of July.

Also found my first wheat penny (1950) on this street and a 1947 nickle. The coin gods keep teasing me as this is the third almost silver coin I've found lol

Also, tonight I found what I think is my first piece of old gold. Going to try and get it tested this week. It's a Hungarian Catholic pendant that reads on the back "St. Mary, Mother of God pray for us!

She has thirteen little gold stars around her. Any help on dating this would appreciated. I cannot find anything like it so far on Google. Thanks for looking!
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Congrats on your first silver and a thimble to boot...
 
SWR NICE THIMBLE BUT CURIOUS ABOUT THE PENDANT FIND , SWEET ....
 
I believe the pendant is 14kt and from Hungary. Nice digs:occasion14:
 
Thanks for all the kind words! I'm super stoked to have something cool for tonight's show and tell at our local club meeting.

Any local treasure hunters to Raleigh Nc should come out. We've got a great group of about 30 - meet every 4th Tuesday - Triangle Relic Recovery
 
Absolutely congrats on the thimble. There've been quite a few posted here, but I personally have never found one

I have found that a precious metals test kit is a gotta have. And I've learned to do it gently - that stuff leaves a stain!

What part of NC are you from? I'm just a bit from the border above Winston-Salem.
 
Thank you deepseeker, I feel like I'm pretty lucky to have some good success in my first 2 months of owning my first detector. Still trying to find that first silver coin lol

I live in raleigh about 5 minutes from Dorthea Dix campus.

Nice location for you. I almost took a long country drive up there this weekend looking for abandoned properties to photograph but went south west instead.
 
Congratz! Great Finds! I'm still searching for my first thimble. I know it's out there somewhere!!!
 
I found the thimble dirt fishing a sidewalk strip in an older neighborhood. The thimble, ugly wheat penny and 47 nickel were all close to each other
 
Congrats on the thimble. I have yet to find a sterling one. That pendant is sweet. It doesn't look like it has any corrosion on it. If it were plated, and in the ground for any amount of time, it would corrode and flake. Looks real to me.

The silver coins will come in time. Patience grasshopper.

Good to see a NC boy making it good in the capitol city!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom