Lots of old coins found at site/deep detecting info request

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Those who have been on Treasurenet a while are familiar with the swimming hole I am always talking about. True_Metal and I have cleaned it out on land with our detectors (creek search to commence). He has a Minelab and I have a Radio Shack. Despite what some think about Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter), I've found coins back to a 1740s halfpence at this site with my detector. A total of about 35 silver coins between us dating to 1899. Best find was my find of 7 coins in one hole, including three silver (one being 1899 Barber half). Anyway, I feel we have cleaned this place out on land, but want to be convinced that we could find more with a really specialized deep detector. So, if I can find a 1740s coin with my Radio Shack, why should I think I can find other coins there with a "better" detector? What detector would be best? Convince me. Thanks. Here's a kind of lousy photo of best finds there...

Attachments

• tn_best04[2].JPG
    tn_best04[2].JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FTD is right when saying "the operator" is the most important part in finding older coins!

Sure, some detectors go deeper, are built better, and have more bells and whistles, etc. but, when it comes rgt down to it, if you lack knowledge and experience, and don't hunt where the older stuff is, you're not going to do so well finding it ;D

C

cachenut

Keep the one you have, read this message.

Use all metal mode and turn the sensitivity way up. This will add perhaps 1 to 2 feet to your depth.

And dig everything. This works best in dug out areas.

Not many think to do this. Getting no signals at all? Then use the all metal mode. You will find some great stuff.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Bergie, sounds like you're doing well with the Shack so I wouldn't necessarily change horses in mid-stream. You might think about investing in a bigger coil if they have one. Doesn't sound like there's much trash so it might help on those faint signals. Other than the operator, the only other hinderence to the deep coins is the soil mineralization. Just take an old speaker magnet and wrap it in a plastic bag (it's a b*&%$ to get the iron off otherwise) and lay it on the ground you're trying to detect. The more iron particles the magnet attracts the less depth you'll get regardless of what detector you use. Around here I see more White's and Fishers, down in Texas I saw more Garretts, Troys, and Tesoros. If you were in the military, then you knew your way around you're rifle blindfolded. The same goes with you're detector.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey, the devil is in the details. You didn't say you found that 1740's coin on edge 6 inches deep with nails or screw caps above and below it. My eyeballs could have found that coin under the right circumstances! Of course your BH has done great for you, in a well chosen spot! A higher end machine would be able to detect a little deeper and give you some level of improvment. But heck, I wished I was around there with my old BH, I'd be hoppin' happy. Great site, great finds and good hunting Bergie! Keep 'em coming!

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
check around your area, you may be able to rent a pulse induction machine (PI) these have great depth but no disc. Good Luck! Keep us posted! 8)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omni's right,

you want the greatest depth?

use a pulse induction, you'll find coins at 2 ft deep if they're there!

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks for all of the info. How much for one of them pulse bad a_ _ machines?

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with hunting in all metal mode and digging everything in this case. Set the sensitivity to max, turn off the disc, and hunt all metal mode. This will give you max depth. If you've already been through this spot and pulled out most of the trash, consider doing the all metal search with a bigger 12" coil, which BH should have available for the Radio Shack model. This will give you another 2-3" depth, and it's a lot cheaper than a PI machine.

R

rvbvetter

? Check this site www.metaldetectorreviews.net Reviews and rating of each detector is left by actual owners. Not some co. employee. I checked the reviews at the site prior to my last 2 detector purchases. Haven't been dissapointed.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not thru with that swimhole yet. Theres more coins there, just need to remove the trash and get to the good signals masked out below. Bergie, a bigger coil hooked up to my machine should do the trick. 8)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bigger coil will do the trick to a certain extent.

If you want the greatest depth, and the most targets found,,, after you finish using the detector you're using now with the largest coils, and you remove all trash, coins, etc. that you can,,, then,,, go over the area again with a PI machine and you'll find the stuff the VLF detector missed.

The PI machine will go 6 to 8 inches deeper than the VLF machine at least, and it sees ALL metals with no disc.

I've dug nickels at 16 to 18 inches with a PI mahine on the beach and quarters even deeper (stock coil).

That's something a VLF machine "wishes" it could do.

F

Floater

Im with the Pulse theory also. I own the Excalibur and it does go deep and i still havent even tuned it up but the pulse is the final deal once you do have the trash cleaned out and think your done. In sand i watched a guy go 2 plus feet and pulled out a pull tab. Now that my friend is deep. Good luck HH

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks all and thanks Floater. Has anyone told you that you have an extremely small head or very large headphones? :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread